Charger golfers pose for a picture after winning the G-MAC Fall Invi­ta­tional earlier this season. John Quint | Courtesy

Last week, the Hillsdale Chargers enjoyed the sunny weather in Miami, Florida, while playing in the Miami Inter­col­le­giate at Trump National Doral Golf Club. They fin­ished sixth out of 10 teams with an aggregate 20 over par.

Coming off of their last tour­nament at TPC Michigan in Dearborn, Miami pro­vided a change in com­pe­tition just as much as the change in weather for the Chargers’ last tour­nament of the fall season.

“Going from Detroit last week where it was cold and windy to Florida this week was a huge change,” Ryan Zetwick said, “and it made it much easier to play well.”

The team hosting the tour­nament, Nova South­eastern Uni­versity, came out on top at the end of day two.

For senior Liam Purslowe, the dif­ferent con­di­tions were more familiar, unlike the rest of the team. After playing well the first day, Purslowe said the tour­nament started to slip away the next two rounds.

“The putter just went cold on day two and I couldn’t get any­thing to drop,” he said. “The course was demanding and I just made some mis­takes where you couldn’t afford to make them which ended in double bogeys and put me out of the mix a little.”

Overall, the tour­nament was a mixed bag. After a suc­cessful season they went up against bigger golf pro­grams and fin­ished in the middle of the pack. Ending the season like this pro­vided enough pos­itive moments to encourage the team over the off­season, according to coach Nathan Gilchrist.

“The guys played solid at times but not con­sistent enough to contend to win,” Gilchrist said. “They are ready to work hard this off­season and get ready to compete at a high level this spring.”