Hillsdale College Ath­letics | Courtesy

The Hillsdale Chargers com­peted in their second and final exhi­bition game of the pre­season on Sat­urday, and fell to the Uni­versity of Toledo Rockets, 72 – 63.

The Rockets are a Division I team with the potential to qualify for the NCAA tour­nament in March, according to senior guard Har­rison Niego.

Although the Chargers lost both of their exhi­bition games this fall, each game came down to the wire against Division I oppo­nents. Hillsdale lost 67 – 61 to Oakland Uni­versity on Oct. 24.

“It was an awesome expe­rience for us to learn from them and how they play,” Niego said. “We learned what we need to do better to get to our NCAA tour­nament.”

Niego, along with senior guard Nate Neveau, were the leading scorers for Hillsdale, con­tributing 14 points each, several of which came from beyond the arc. Neveau shot 60 percent from the three-point line, and Niego shot 40 percent.

“Har­rison is a very tal­ented young man,” head coach John Tharp said. “The thing we were really happy with was that at first he missed some shots and turned it over, but then he got himself going and started getting com­fortable. We need him this season.”

Niego credits the team’s offensive style for his shot oppor­tu­nities.

“When we start running a good offense, there a lot of good shots to be taken,” Niego said. “We need to cap­i­talize on them.”

After a 12-point scoring run by the Rockets during the first half, the Chargers didn’t give up. They coun­tered with an eight-point scoring run of their own with two and a half minutes left to go. The lead was cut to seven, and Toledo led at halftime, 36 – 29.

“We had a really slow start,” Tharp said. “[Sophomore] Connor Hill gave us some good energy off the bench, which was kind of important because he got us going.”

A strong defensive per­for­mance came from senior forward Gordon Behr. He con­tributed five defensive rebounds and a steal. On the offensive side, he added five points and two assists.

“He’s one of the best defenders in Division II bas­ketball,” Tharp said of Behr. “He’s long, he’s ath­letic, moves his feet and is dis­ci­plined as well. He does a lot of the little things that don’t show up on the box score.”

Behr said he thought the team’s per­for­mance was decent. The Chargers shot 40 percent overall and forced 13 Rockets turnovers while lim­iting their own turnovers to seven, 11 fewer than their first exhi­bition game.

“We had some stretches where we played well on both sides,” Behr said. “We showed we could do it for parts of the game, but we need to be able to maintain it.”

The Chargers will begin their regular-season this weekend in Spring­field, Illinois. They will take on the Uni­versity of Southern Indiana on Friday at 6:30 p.m. Then they will play the Uni­versity of Illinois-Spring­field on Sat­urday at 4 p.m.

“Those are two very good teams his­tor­i­cally and they have a lot of good players coming back,” Niego said. “We’ve had a great fall and we’re ready to get after it.”

if guys are hitting 60% and 40% from beyond the arc, they aren’t shooting enough. Need to feed those guys the ball!