Hillsdale Ath­letics | Courtesy

The Hillsdale Chargers fell to the Uni­versity of Findlay and Lewis Uni­versity in a home meet on Sat­urday. Lewis edged the Chargers with a final score of 134 – 126, while Findlay won with a score of 191 – 88. 

“This weekend was a good gauge of where we are as a team before we head into mid-seasons next weekend,” sophomore Katherine Heeres said. “Findlay and Lewis are both very strong teams and I am proud of how we rose to the chal­lenge on Sat­urday.”

Heeres earned the Chargers their first placement of the meet with her second-place per­for­mance in the 1000-yard freestyle, fin­ishing in 11 minutes and 9.86 seconds. Heeres also took second in the 200 back­stroke.

“We had quite a few season-best times,” Heeres said. “In general, everyone seemed to feel good about where they’re at in terms of times.”

Senior Anika Ellingson said the meet, like the entire season, pre­sented the Chargers with some chal­lenges.

“Our coaches have been heavily pushing our training this year and we’ve battled several unex­pected injuries as well,” Ellingson said. “Our goal is to take these in stride and keep moving forward and cap­i­talize on the hand life has dealt us this season.”

Ellingson placed first in the 50 breast­stroke with a time of 30.64. She also took second in the 200 breast­stroke, and third in the 200 indi­vidual medley. She fin­ished the 200 breast with a time of 2:27.31 while fin­ishing the 200 IM at 2:20.32. 

Junior Catherine Voisin took second in the 200 but­terfly, fin­ishing with a time of 2:13.92. 

The Chargers A-team, made up of Heeres, sophomore Emma Rao, senior Suzanne DeTar, and junior Vic­toria Addis, took second in the 200 freestyle relay with a time of 1:41.50. 

Head coach Kurt Kirner said the team is aiming to improve times and overall health before the G-MAC cham­pi­onships, which are in Canton, Ohio, in Feb­ruary. 

The Chargers’ final event of the fall season is this weekend at the Uni­versity of Chicago Invi­ta­tional in Chicago, Illinois. The event will run from Friday through Sunday.