A deer broke into the Dow Hotel and Con­ference Center early Wednesday morning. Aaron Tracey | Courtesy

When Scot Bertram, the general manager of Radio Free Hillsdale 101.7 FM, came into work on Wednesday morning, he was greeted by three men dragging some­thing heavy out of the doors of Dow Hotel and Con­ference Center. He spotted limbs on what he orig­i­nally thought was a large piece of luggage, and as he parked his car a deer, wrapped in a red curtain moments before, bounded into the woods.

As he entered the building, Bertram saw the trail of blood leading down the hall. On the window was a smear of red. The window next to it was shat­tered.  Bertram com­pared the scene, with its con­struction plastic and spat­tered blood, to a scene from “American Psycho.”

“Saying it’s all over the place is a bit of an over­statement,” Bertram said. “But it was in a lot of places.”

Shortly before 8 a.m. four members of Pi Beta Phi were cutting through the Dow Hotel to get to class when they saw a four-point buck crash through a window and into the under-con­struction area of Dow for­merly known as the Weigand Com­puter Lab.

This is not the first time a deer has broken into a campus building. In 2012, a deer broke through a ground-floor window in Nied­feldt Res­i­dence, which was a women’s dorm at the time.

“He looked really dis­ori­ented,” said senior Faith Witkowski. “I was freaked out, just because it was so pow­erful. If a deer charges you, what are you going to do? You can’t punch a deer.”

Members of campus security and main­te­nance were able to wrap the buck in a red curtain and use it to calm it down and remove it from the building.

“Our spec­u­lation is that because it’s mating season, it saw its reflection [and attacked it],” said Bill Whorley, director of campus security.

The three men were able to drag the deer by its antlers and release it. Although it sus­tained some injuries, it ran off into the woods, Whorley said.

“Thank­fully, there were no guests around,” said Aaron Tracey, director of hos­pi­tality oper­a­tions at the Dow Hotel. “I think it’s quite funny that it hap­pened on Hal­loween.”

Tracey said the broken window had already been replaced and the blood cleaned up.

“It was pretty short and sweet,” Whorley said.

it, like many of the men at hillsdale college, seems to have been very sex­ually repressed

• George Gibbs

“You can’t punch a deer.”
    Is this a sly ref­erence to the fact that a certain male student did exactly that, 6 or 7 years ago? Or just a coin­ci­dence?