Rami Malek plays Freddie Mercury in the new movie “Bohemian Rhapsody.” | Courtesy Wikipedia.org

Our parents loved Queen and now it’s our turn to fall in love with them. Director Bryan Singer brought them back into the spot­light on November 2 with “Bohemian Rhapsody,” the movie, which has already grossed $472 million worldwide.

Queen is one of the biggest names in music. Their songs have become the staples and legends of true rock ’n’ roll, and have become the sound of an entire gen­er­ation. Queen was too big to really be for­gotten, but “Bohemian Rhapsody” has rein­tro­duced them to the kids of the kids that orig­i­nally loved them in the ’70s and ’80s.

A highly antic­i­pated movie, “Bohemian Rhapsody” has cer­tainly raked in the money, but only the first half lived up to its leg­endary namesake. The movie nat­u­rally focused on Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of Queen. While his story should be told, the new sounds, music, and style that Queen invented were (and still are) far more influ­ential than his story.

The excellent first half of the movie cen­tered around the for­mation of the band and their inven­tions in music. The scenes of the band cre­ating their “A Night at the Opera” album are some of the best. Watching Freddie Mercury and the band invent the “Bohemian Rhapsody” — how they exper­i­mented to create it — was like an exclusive, behind-the-scenes peek into the cre­ation of one of the greatest songs in rock history. Watching Brian May play his guitar solo and Roger Taylor sing the oper­atics of “Bohemian Rhapsody” was enough to give the audience chills and create a deep respect for the group’s musical talent.

But the movie shifted its focus from the band and the music to focus on Mercury’s deeply sad and dark life. Freddie Mercury, the son of Indian immi­grants, was orig­i­nally named Farrokh Bulsara. He had a meteoric rise to stardom, and he lived a hard life as a diva. It was full of chaotic par­tying, drugs, alcohol, and homo­sexual partners. He con­tracted AIDS and died at the age of 45.

Actor Rami Malek’s depiction of Mercury is impec­cable, real­istic, and breath­taking. Mercury was a flam­boyant, huge per­son­ality and Malek brought the energy and spark needed to ignite the char­acter into a real­istic snapshot of the legend. Even Brian May, the gui­tarist of Queen, was impressed by Malek’s per­for­mance and thought Mercury would have been pleased had he lived to see it.

“I think he would have felt it was a fair cop. It shows all his greatness and all his fal­li­bility and inse­curity — the whole bit,” May told Cinema Blend. “I think it shows him very truth­fully and not syco­phan­ti­cally, but in a way that appre­ciates his talent. Because he sure was unique.”

May also later told the Press Asso­ci­ation that he thinks Malek’s per­for­mance should place him on the list for Oscar nom­i­na­tions.

“He inhabited Freddie to the point where we even started to think of him as Freddie,” May said. “Really remarkable.”

May said he thinks that Mercury would have even appre­ciated that it showed his serious flaws. But no matter how excellent Malek’s acting was, the film was sup­posed to be about the whole band. Sure, it shows how the band created “Bohemian Rhapsody” and showed a quick shot of how they made “We Will Rock You,” but what about the stories behind “We Are the Cham­pions,” “Radio Ga Ga,” “Under Pressure,” or “Somebody to Love”? What about the story behind Brian May building his own guitar to get that par­ticular sound unique to Queen, thanks to his inge­nuity?

Roger Taylor, Brian May, Freddie Mercury, and John Deacon were remarkable musi­cians that changed the face of music and rock ’n’ roll forever. They created the sound of a gen­er­ation that no one else could duplicate. They were a one-of-a-kind band with extreme talent, guts, and nerve, who sailed into an uncharted ter­ritory of music and invented new sounds.

No matter how big Freddie Mercury was, the movie should have focused more on the whole group and its spec­tacular music.