Have ques­tions about the reg­is­tration process? The registrar’s office is in the basement of Central Hall.
Nicole Ault | Col­legian

Reg­is­tration for the spring semester is upon us. With core and major require­ments, classes, and pro­fessors, it’s easy to get swept up in madness of it all. Freshmen, reg­is­tering for classes is not “the end of the world”. Here are 10 tips to help the reg­is­tration process go smoothly.

1. Seek out advice from someone you think would be helpful.

“Hillsdale is really unique as in people actually gen­uinely want to help,” junior Karissa

McCarthy said. “People are gen­uinely willing to help. Ask your RAs, an upper­classman,

a pro­fessor.”

2. Know yourself and your learning habits

“For me, I don’t study well at night, I study better in the morning,” McCarthy said. “So, I pick my classes around that. I know that I can focus and study more at 9 a.m. as opposed to 2 p.m.”

3. Make various ten­tative schedules just in case.

“Have your ideal schedule mapped out, but also build a sort of ‘choose your own adventure’ with each class having a dif­ferent route,” junior Jessica Wong said. “Say ‘hey if this class falls through, how will this change my schedule?’ Have all these second backup schedules so that you have it all planned out. If it does fall through, you’ll have it all mapped out so that you’re not wasting time the morning of.”

4 Don’t pick a class based on JUST outside opinions

“We all have dif­ferent study habits and learning strategies and per­sonal pref­er­ences, and those should take pri­ority over being in a class with friends or trying to take a hard pro­fessor just for the looks of it,” McCarthy said. “You should take what’s going to make you thrive and what’s going to make you want to go to class.”

5. Have all your backups cued up on WebAd­visor so then you’re not scram­bling if you don’t get into the classes you orig­i­nally planned.

“Having backups is so key, even if it’s not some­thing you’re par­tic­u­larly excited about,” senior Ethan Greb said. “Just having it up and cued on that reg­is­tration is so key, because if you don’t get into the class you want to, you’re not scram­bling to go find it one the website is already crashed.”

6. Pick pro­fessors who will chal­lenge you.

“I like to be pushed outside my comfort zone in dis­cussion. I like to find a pro­fessor who is in the middle, between dis­cussion and lecture,” McCarthy said. “I want a class that’s going to chal­lenge me to speak up in class but also a pro­fessor who won’t be passive. Figure out what your learning style is and find pro­fessors that help you.”

7. Go into the classes you didn’t want to be in with an open mind

“For those core classes, it’s really dependent on the pro­fessor,” Greb said. “I wanted to get as much out of the class as I could. I didn’t want the core class to be more boring. I took Jackson for Great Books two. I came away from that class really glad I took it, even though I’m not an English major.”  

8. Talk to someone who has taken the spe­cific class you’re thinking of taking, and not just a class from that pro­fessor.

“They might not like the teacher because they took upper level classes for them,” McCarthy said.  “It wasn’t the fact that the pro­fessor was hard, it was the fact that the certain subject was hard. I would talk to people who took the actual class, rather than people who were in the other classes.

9. Your second choice class/professor may sur­prise you.

“I never came in with any extra credits so I was always the last one to reg­ister. That made it hard for me to get into the classes that I wanted to get into,” Greb said. “I’ve always gotten the second pickings, but I’ve gotten to take pro­fessors that I nor­mally wouldn’t have chosen which has lead to great classes, great con­ver­sa­tions, dis­cus­sions. It has given me the oppor­tunity to learn things that I wouldn’t have typ­i­cally learned if I didn’t take other classes.”

10. Email the pro­fessor ahead of time, BEFORE reg­is­tration.

“I wanted to take Dr. Murphy for Great Books II, but I figured that I would be at risk at reg­is­tration,” McCarthy said. “For that reason, I emailed her before reg­is­tration and I was number one on her waitlist. I reg­is­tered for my backup class, but then a week before classes started in August, Dr. Murphy emailed me and offered me the opening in her class.”