With the relentless news cycle and single-minded media cov­erage of the past few weeks, it’s easy to be absorbed by one story. It happens to the best of us. But to be well-rounded stu­dents, it’s important to keep our heads above the news cycle and gain per­spective.

While the world focused on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh’s sus­pended con­fir­mation, several key events went unno­ticed and untouched: Pres­ident Donald Trump’s North American Free Trade Agreement re-nego­ti­ation faded out of public interest quickly; an Indonesian tsunami last week has left more than 350,000 without running water or elec­tricity; and Michigan’s Attorney General opened an inves­ti­gation into the state’s Catholic diocese. These might seem unim­portant com­pared to the Kavanaugh hearings, but each has the potential to directly affect stu­dents’ eco­nomic and social well-being.

Of course, the ongoing Kavanaugh con­tro­versy is rel­evant, important, and worth­while. But we can’t allow our­selves to get sucked into “the one big thing.” To be informed stu­dents and cit­izens, it’s important to filter out the noise.

Take time this week to step away from the media circus of the Kavanaugh hearings and find out what else is going on in the world around you.