Jamal Khashoggi | Wiki­media Commons

This week, two inter­na­tional inci­dents dragged Amer­icans’ attention away from the midterm election cycle and Wash­ington, D.C. pol­itics: the death of Wash­ington Post jour­nalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi Arabian con­sulate in Turkey, and a thou­sands-strong migrant caravan making its way up from Central America.

Clearly inter­secting with American pol­itics, these issues remind us that con­se­quential events happen outside American borders — and that paying attention to inter­na­tional news is essential to keeping a healthy per­spective on what happens within them.

As we run the treadmill of the 24-hour news cycle and Pres­ident Trump’s tweet-alerts, lives and nations are changing around the world. Hur­ricane Willa wrought destruction on Mexico’s Pacific coast this week. Dozens of people have died amidst unrest in Afghanistan’s par­lia­mentary elec­tions. The European Com­mission is arguing with Italy over the country’s budget.

It’s not all bad news, though: A team of sur­geons repaired the spines of unborn babies for the first time in Britain, and the oldest intact ship­wreck was just dis­covered off the coast of Bul­garia.

As Khashoggi’s death and the migrant caravan demon­strate, what happens around the world is mean­ingful back home. Don’t wait for inter­na­tional news to touch American cit­izens or pol­itics to pay attention to it. Under­standing the rise and fall of another country’s pol­itics and the trials and tri­umphs they go through will help us under­stand our own — and rec­ognize that they are not as all-encom­passing as we might think.

America has taken a step back into Foreign Policy lead­ership with the Trump Admin­is­tration. This doesn’t mean expensive entan­gle­ments when it is not in our interests, but we will take ethical stands without waiting for other nations to line up behind us. Let’s forever repu­diate the Barack Obama indif­ference to America’s role on the world stage.

I do not agree with this position.