(Pixabay)

With the recent release of the iPhone XS, Apple has also released their new software update iOS 12, receiving mixed feedback and a flurry of emo­tions from its users.

Fea­turing new emojis and “Memoji,” along with Do Not Disturb, Siri Shortcuts, and Screen Time fea­tures, the iOS 12 offers a series of subtle changes for its users, with the update occu­pying 1.37 GB of phone storage.

Although the update uses 1.37 GB after instal­lation, in order to install the update at all “requires at least 2.08 GB of available storage during instal­lation,” according to the iOS 12 description found in the iPhone’s General Set­tings.

“I’m not planning on updating to iOS 12 because I think it will just slow down my phone that is already out­dated,” sophomore Ryan Fla­herty said. “I’m guessing a new update would cut into the battery life of my phone too, and then how would I be able to watch Netflix during my classes?”

The iPhone’s new update does not add any new fea­tures to the device but build upon pre­vi­ously estab­lished fea­tures. For example, iconic emojis are now com­ple­mented by Memoji and Animoji, which the update describes as a way to “make Mes­sages more expressive with per­son­alized char­acters that are diverse and fun.” Some Animoji updates include stickers of a T. rex, ghost, koala, and tiger.

Other updates include a special feature called Screen Time, which allows users to know how much time they are spending on their phone or on apps. The feature allows parents to control how much their children use apps or go on certain web­sites.

“Screen Time pro­vides detailed infor­mation and tools to help you and your family find the right balance of time spent with apps and web­sites,” Apple’s software update said.

Users, espe­cially stu­dents, are finding the feature enlight­ening with how much time they spend on their devices as well as moti­vating.

“The new Screen Time feature is amazing,” junior Joel Meng said. “Now it’s a game for me to see how little time I spend on my phone.”

Although many responses rave the new feature, some people find it to be an invasion of privacy.

“It’s kind of scary that it tracks your phone usage time,” junior Allie Matti said, but added, “It’s eye-opening how much time we waste on our phones every day.”

In terms of privacy, Apple con­siders Safari data usage con­fi­den­tiality and finds solu­tions to dis­solving online cookies and ad retar­geting in iOS12.

“Enhanced Intel­ligent Tracking Pre­vention in Safari pre­vents embedded content and social media buttons from tracking cross-site browsing without your per­mission,” the software update said. “Strong and unique pass­words are sug­gested auto­mat­i­cally when cre­ating an account or changing a password in most apps and in Safari.”

But many users feel that, in spite of these efforts in the iOS 12 update for greater privacy from external sites, Apple still invades the privacy of its users.

“I updated, and it turned on Location Ser­vices on all of my apps,” freshman Ian Renkes said, “making my battery last about one hour rather than lasting the whole day. It took me forever to figure out what was going on. Also, Location Ser­vices? Creepy, if you ask me.”

Apart from mere wariness, many feel that although the update pro­vides some helpful tools and greater variety, it is not worth updating to since its changes appear so miniscule and ulti­mately unin­ter­esting.

“iOS 12 changes very few things,” freshman Michael Fleischer said. “Each update doesn’t add value — or at least very little value. Don’t get me wrong, I love iPhones and Apple. I just don’t think they’re very inno­v­ative anymore.”