Student Athletic Advisory Committee creates hype for volleyball game

Home Charger Volleyball Student Athletic Advisory Committee creates hype for volleyball game
Flyer for Costumize Your Prof event. Calli Townsend | Collegian

The Hillsdale College volleyball team will be taking on its biggest rival, The University of Findlay on Monday, Oct. 30 at 7 p.m. This highly-anticipated game will feature more than just fierce competition on the court. The Student Athlete Advisory Committe will be hosting the “Costume-ize Your Prof” event.

Assistant Professor of Biology Silas Johnson says he is looking forward to dressing up in costume.

“I’m excited to entertain and be a goof and to make people laugh, scared or cry, depending on the costume,” he said. “I don’t know if there is an ideal costume, I’m open to whatever. I’m sort of a character-adapter to any Halloween costume.”

Johnson is one of 16 professors who have agreed to participate. Students can vote for which costume they want to see their professors wear to the volleyball game Oct. 30 as well as in class on Oct. 31.

Raffle tickets can be purchased in the Union beginning the week of Oct. 22 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Each ticket gives you one vote. The cost is $1 for two tickets or $5 for an arm’s length. All of the proceeds from this event will go towards The Make-A-Wish Foundation.

Senior Allie Dewire, president of SAAC, said the group had been planning both fundraising and ways to encourage students to attend home sporting events.

“I was talking to Gwendolyn Buchhop [`11] in the athletic department and she said the Halloween game was the game to go to back in the day,” Dewire said. “It was so much fun to dress up and go to the game.”

This year SAAC is looking to recreate the excitement for the Halloween game. Students can come dressed in costume to cheer on the Chargers as they take on the Oilers.