Chance Stewart makes a pass in earlier season game. (Courtesy: Liam Bredberg | Col­legian)

Senior quar­terback Chance Stewart became the first player in school history to have two 400-yard passing per­for­mances in a career in the Hillsdale College Chargers’ 45 – 35 win on Sat­urday against the Malone Uni­versity Pio­neers in Canton, Ohio.

Stewart com­pleted 30 of 43 passes for 450 yards and four touch­downs in the victory. He already holds the Chargers’ record for most passing yards in a game, 485, set last season against the Uni­versity of Indi­anapolis on Sept. 23, 2017.

“Receivers made the plays, and we pushed the ball down the field more than we had in pre­vious games based on film study and what we thought we were going to get,” Stewart said. “When we can do that, it makes our offense so much better.”

Stewart com­pleted 10 passes that went for 20 or more yards, and dis­tributed the ball to eight dif­ferent receivers. 

“That’s kind of what we’ve been trying to do all year,” head coach Keith Otterbein said. “Taking some shots on first down, what allows you to do that is being effi­cient on second down. I think with the weapons we have on offense, that’s some­thing we’ve got to do.” 

Senior wide receiver Trey Brock caught nine passes for 173 yards and two touch­downs, and sophomore wide receiver K.J. Maloney caught seven passes for 143 yards, making them the first Chargers duo in eight seasons to each eclipse 100 yards receiving in a single game. 

“We com­plement each other in that defenses can’t just focus on one or the other,” Brock said. “They have to worry about the whole receiving corps, not just one of us.” 

Maloney and Brock rank third and fourth, respec­tively, in the G-MAC in receiving yards this year, and both average more than 90 yards receiving per game. That feat is more impressive con­sid­ering Brock caught just one pass in the season’s first two games because of a lin­gering injury. 

“As you look at our offense, to try to say they’re going to take away Trey Brock, good luck, because you’ve got K.J. Maloney and [senior wide receiver] Austin San­dusky on the other side,” Otterbein said. “Having [Brock] back gets the defense to have to spread out and not gang up on one guy in the pass defense.” 

Saturday’s aerial attack was the result of a game plan to stretch the field more with deep balls and big plays, and Hillsdale exe­cuted. Through the first quarter, Brock already had 118 yards receiving and two touch­downs, a 5-yard score and a 48-yard strike. 

Both teams scored touch­downs on their first two pos­ses­sions, and the Chargers led 24 – 21 at halftime thanks to a 32-yard field goal by sophomore kicker Joe Philipp and a 33-yard touchdown from Stewart to Maloney. 

In the third quarter, Brock found the end zone for a third time on a 2-yard touchdown reception, and junior running back David Graham rushed for a 5-yard touchdown to give Hillsdale a 10-point advantage. Early in the fourth quarter, junior running back Casey O’Brien’s 2-yard touchdown rush opened up a three pos­session lead for the Chargers. 

The Pio­neers lin­gered with an inter­ception of Stewart in the red zone and a fourth-down stop, but the Chargers’ defense tightened late and held Malone scoreless on its final three pos­ses­sions. Junior line­backer Nate Jones’s inter­ception late in the quarter all but sealed the win for Hillsdale. 

“He hap­pened to throw it right to me in the chest, so I had to make sure I caught that one,” Jones said. “It was just a matter of feeling out what they had done before and getting a feel for where the quar­terback wanted to go with his eyes, and I hap­pened to make a break on the ball.” 

Despite allowing 35 points, the Chargers’ defense allowed just 196 yards through the air. The pass cov­erage was assisted by a con­sistent pass rush, led by sophomore defensive lineman Schuyler Snell’s 2.5 sacks. Snell and sophomore defensive lineman Zach Van­Valkenburg both have 4.5 sacks this season, sharing the con­ference lead. 

“Guys like Zach Van­Valkenburg and Schuyler Snell are getting pressure with as little as three or four-man rushes, which really helps our pass defense if they can send four guys to the quar­terback and get the job done,” Jones said. “It’s been the defensive linemen getting better pass rush moves and getting quicker off the ball that have really helped our defense.” 

Hillsdale’s 45 points and 566 yards of total offense were both season-highs. The Chargers rank third in the con­ference in total scoring and total yards, behind only Ohio Dominican Uni­versity, whom they defeated on Sept. 15, and their opponent this Sat­urday, the Uni­versity of Findlay.

Findlay defeated Hillsdale last season, 31 – 13. This year, the Chargers go on the road to take on the Oilers. Hillsdale is one of two teams remaining in the G-MAC without a con­ference loss. Findlay lost to Ohio Dominican earlier this season. The stakes are high, as ODU and Findlay were the only two schools to finish ahead of Hillsdale in the pre­season con­ference rankings.

“Everyone really likes to overhype this game. We haven’t beat them in the last three attempts. In the grand scheme of things, it’s just another game for us,” Stewart said. “We’ve been suc­cessful with how we’ve approached each game. It’ll be fun. It’ll be exciting. We control our destiny from here on out. This is just the next opponent — a really good opponent — but we’re a really good football team too.” 

Kickoff on Sat­urday in Findlay, Ohio is at 3 p.m. 

The game this weekend against the Uni­versity of Findlay is most likely for all the marbles in the GMAC. Findlay dom­i­nated Hillsdale last season and they’re pow­erful again this season. Hillsdale will have to play their perfect game to beat Findlay, not a doubt in my mind. But I believe they are capable of that right now.

My pre­diction: A high scoring affair dom­i­nated by the Offenses, with Hillsdale on top at the end by 42 – 31. Book it.

• Nathan Grime

Bold. In my mind, if Hillsdale is going to beat Findlay, they’re going to have to do it the way they beat ODU earlier this year on the road: gritty defense, and a couple of big turnovers. If Hillsdale wins, I think they keep Findlay under 25 points. I don’t see the Chargers winning a shootout.

I think it’s the only way Hillsdale CAN win. We’re not going to stop Findlay every drive, but you’re right that if we can stop them on a couple of key drives we can win in a high scoring affair. Chance is going to have to have a big game, he can’t make mis­takes like the inter­ception at the 3 yard line on first and goal. And the Coaches can’t make any mental blunders like the 4th and 2 stoppage or the punting for­mation breakdown that gave Malone the ball on the short field and a last second 2nd Quarter TD. The Chargers will have to avoid turnovers and move the ball every down. The good news is they are capable of that. I believe they will.

You were more right than I was, Nathan. Findlay had only one earned TD, their other one was a gimme from the Hillsdale Punt squad. We gotta do some­thing about that long snap, it’s going to come back and bite us one of these games.

Didn’t think we could win with Chance not playing his best game, he seemed to be throwing the ball high all game. He did enough, though and the Hillsdale Defense played WAY above their usual level. That last play was one for the ages!