Mossey Library installs online audiobook, diversifies learning

Home Science & Tech - Homepage - Science & Tech Mossey Library installs online audiobook, diversifies learning

Mossey Library introduced a new audiobook program, Naxos Spoken Word, to their online Naxos library to adjust for the lack of CD circulation and to give faculty and students the option of listening instead of reading. According to technical service librarian LeAnne Rumler, the program came out three years ago and has the same framework as the music library. The program is also available in app form for Apple products.

“At the time, they didn’t have a way to download something and listen to it other than you had to be on the Naxos site,” Rumler said. “But now they’ve come out with these apps to address that.”

The app allows listeners to download any books they want; at the library, students can use their library login to access any of the volumes. Rumler said much of the literature is classic.

“A lot of the material that they have is more literary,” Rumler said. “They do have some fun fiction in there, but it tends to be more targeted toward an academic audience.”

The college has had Naxos music library for several years, so setting up the new programs was not difficult. The audiobook library is very similar to the music library as well. The college encourages people to create their own login so that can save what they like. According to public service librarian Linda Moore, Naxos Spoken Word goes beyond support for the music department.

“We originally had the Naxos Music database to support the music department,” Moore said in an email, “and when they came out with the Spoken Word, it seemed to be a good fit with the mission of the College.”

As far as the app goes, Rumler said the app has IP recognition, so students can take their downloaded books into unlimited playlists to take anywhere. It is also a great resource for learning development.

“Some of the books come with text as well as the audio so you can read along,” Rumler said. “This is helpful for those learning another language or children learning to read.”

Spoken Word is also meant to replace some of the CDs, which have not been circulating as frequently.

The library hopes that it will also provide options for different learning styles.

“We know that everybody reads differently,” public service librarian Brenna Wade said. “Maybe they would prefer to listen to a book rather than read…they can, you know, observe it that way, so we wanted to offer a different format for the books as well.”