Mossey Library intro­duced a new audiobook program, Naxos Spoken Word, to their online Naxos library to adjust for the lack of CD cir­cu­lation and to give faculty and stu­dents the option of lis­tening instead of reading. According to tech­nical service librarian LeAnne Rumler, the program came out three years ago and has the same framework as the music library. The program is also available in app form for Apple products.

“At the time, they didn’t have a way to download some­thing and listen to it other than you had to be on the Naxos site,” Rumler said. “But now they’ve come out with these apps to address that.”

The app allows lis­teners to download any books they want; at the library, stu­dents can use their library login to access any of the volumes. Rumler said much of the lit­er­ature is classic.

“A lot of the material that they have is more lit­erary,” Rumler said. “They do have some fun fiction in there, but it tends to be more tar­geted toward an aca­demic audience.”

The college has had Naxos music library for several years, so setting up the new pro­grams was not dif­ficult. The audiobook library is very similar to the music library as well. The college encourages people to create their own login so that can save what they like. According to public service librarian Linda Moore, Naxos Spoken Word goes beyond support for the music department.

“We orig­i­nally had the Naxos Music database to support the music department,” Moore said in an email, “and when they came out with the Spoken Word, it seemed to be a good fit with the mission of the College.”

As far as the app goes, Rumler said the app has IP recog­nition, so stu­dents can take their down­loaded books into unlimited playlists to take any­where. It is also a great resource for learning devel­opment.

“Some of the books come with text as well as the audio so you can read along,” Rumler said. “This is helpful for those learning another lan­guage or children learning to read.”

Spoken Word is also meant to replace some of the CDs, which have not been cir­cu­lating as fre­quently.

The library hopes that it will also provide options for dif­ferent learning styles.

“We know that everybody reads dif­fer­ently,” public service librarian Brenna Wade said. “Maybe they would prefer to listen to a book rather than read…they can, you know, observe it that way, so we wanted to offer a dif­ferent format for the books as well.”