Crowds gather to support the pro-life movement. Nic Rowan | Col­legian

When I knocked on a door in Fargo, North Dakota, the elderly man who answered told me he was a one-issue voter. That issue turned out to be abortion. As it hap­pened, several voters told me they were one-issue voters that day, and I con­fi­dently guessed that issue to be abortion. Usually, I was right. It’s important for pro-life cit­izens to get out and vote on Nov. 6 to con­tinue driving the current pro-life momentum in America.

Over fall break, I joined a team of fellow Hillsdale College stu­dents in a four-day trip to North Dakota to canvass the state’s largest cities. Working with the Susan B. Anthony List — a non­profit orga­ni­zation ded­i­cated to ending abortion by sup­porting pro-life can­di­dates — our mission was to promote Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.), who is running against incumbent Demo­c­ratic Sen. Heidi Heitkamp for the Senate. We knocked on more than 12,600 doors and walked more than 10 miles a day. Some of the voters I spoke with had their doubts about Cramer, but they planned to vote for him nonetheless because he is pro-life.

“I don’t care for Cramer all that much,” one Fargo voter told me. “But he’s pro-life, and he’ll have my vote.”

These voters know that one of the best ways to defend the sanctity of human life is to put pro-life can­di­dates in office. Since the 2016 election, pro-lifers have made crucial political gains. Pres­ident Donald Trump has plenty of flaws and short­comings, but his admin­is­tration is arguably the most actively pro-life since Ronald Reagan. He has suc­cess­fully nom­i­nated two pro-life Supreme Court jus­tices: Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh. Trump also signed a bill that allows states to stop funding Planned Par­enthood through Title X funding, and he rein­stated Reagan’s Mexico City Policy, which cuts funding to foreign abortion providers.

But Trump can go only so far without a pro-life Con­gress backing him. This is why elec­tions like the North Dakota Senate race are so important.

A can­didate can easily claim a pro-life agenda, but words are mean­ingless unless sup­ported by action. The same goes for pro-life voters. Not everyone can travel to another state to canvass. Not everyone can make the trek to Wash­ington, D.C for the annual March for Life. But every reg­is­tered voter who sup­ports the right to life of the unborn can go out and vote for pro-life can­di­dates. We need to push for incumbent pro-life Sen­ators, as well as new Repub­lican can­di­dates like Michigan’s John James and Wisconsin’s Leah Vukmir.

This isn’t a par­tisan fight. The pro-life movement has allies on the left, par­tic­u­larly among the Democrats for Life. Democrats like Sen. Joe Manchin in West Vir­ginia, con­gres­sional can­didate Dawn Barlow of Ten­nessee, and Dan Lip­inski, a con­gressman from Illinois, have all been endorsed by Democrats for Life. They deserve the con­sid­er­ation of pro-lifers just as much as Repub­licans, espe­cially for left-wing voters.

The nation is split on the issue of abortion. A majority of cit­izens support abortion at least in some cases, but according to a 2018 Gallup poll, 48 percent of Amer­icans also believe it is a moral evil. Now, more than ever, we have the means change the law to reflect the sci­en­tific fact that abortion is the taking of a human life.

“This gen­er­ation hasn’t just seen ultra­sound images of unborn children, they’ve seen advance­ments in tech­nology allowing younger and younger babies to survive — and thrive — after a pre­mature birth,” March for Life’s Jeanne Mancini wrote in Real­Clear Pol­itics.

Pro-life voters, young and old alike, have a respon­si­bility to drive the momentum for the movement. Races in com­pet­itive states like North Dakota require pro-life voters to inform them­selves and take action for the movement. The pro-life policies of Trump and Con­gress won’t mean any­thing unless cit­izens do some­thing by voting for politi­cians who will defend the right to life guar­anteed by the Con­sti­tution.

Nolan Ryan is a junior studying English.

• James C. Robinson (III)

That’s right, Mr. Nolan Ryan! Yes, even right now, Bible-believing Chris­tians should keep the pro-life momentum going!

what momentum? The reality is that abor­tions are down nationwide, not because of any fraud repub­lican saying that they are pro-life, but because of sex edu­cation in schools and increased condom usage. Edu­cating young people about their bodies and the options/likelihoods that are on the way are the way to actually impact this issue that you call claim to care so much about.

• GoSabo

Why so neg­ative? And, not just here, but with vir­tually every comment?

Not neg­ative. This is a place where hillsdale college tra­di­tional mission is com­pletely at odds with current stance. I write plenty of pos­itive posts, this one is about a serious issue