Junior Joey Humes broke a G-MAC record at the Greater Louisville Classic event on Sat­urday. Calli Townsend | Col­legian

Junior Joey Humes surged late to take first place in the Greater Louisville Classic and helped propel the men’s cross country team to a fourth-place finish last Sat­urday. Humes ran the 8 kilo­meters in 24 minutes and 17 seconds, breaking the pre­vious G-MAC record.

Humes and Dominic Pat­acsil from Wabash College broke away from the lead pack early in the race, and by the two-mile mark Humes managed to gen­erate a solid lead over his chal­lenger.

“Dominic fell back, and I thought I had broken him. He was like six or seven steps behind me and I thought I clinched it,” Humes said. “But every time I looked back he was still there and he never got any farther back.”

At the seven-kilo­meter mark, Pat­acsil mounted a charge and passed Humes.

“Nobody saw it because it was on the back parts of the track, but Dominic passed me and then gapped me by a couple of steps,” Humes said. “I thought, ‘That’s it, I’m done’ because he passed me and was really going for it.”

Humes per­se­vered and managed to pass Pat­acsil on the home-stretch to win the race by three seconds. This triumph comes on the heels of a 13th-place finish at the Spartan invi­ta­tional. Humes said his finish at the Spartan Invi­ta­tional made him nervous going into Saturday’s meet.

Humes may not have been con­fident going into the Greater Louisville Classic, but his knew that he was capable of con­tending for the win.

“We know Joey is going to do some­thing crazier every time. It never sur­prises us,” teammate senior Eli Poth said. 

Other Chargers also had breakout per­for­mances at the Greater Louisville Classic. Poth and sophomore Mark Miller fin­ished 15th and 29th respec­tively, setting per­sonal records at the 8 kilo­meter dis­tance. Poth broke his pre­vious per­sonal best by a full minute, some­thing he said he had been wanting to do for a long time.

“It was good to actu­alize potential but it wasn’t sur­prising. It was what I should be capable of,” Poth said. “It was nice to actually do it and instead of telling people “Oh, I’m better than that.”

Sophomore Jack Shelley, sophomore Morgan Mor­rison, and junior Eric Poth all fin­ished within five seconds of each other and placed 102nd, 111th, and 113th respec­tively. Shelley and Poth also set per­sonal records. As the team moves closer to the G-MAC con­ference meet, Eli Poth said he expects those three runners to start fin­ishing closer to the top three runners.

“We want our 4 and 5 to move up, which they should. Some teams have a problem with their 4 and 5 because they don’t know where its coming from,” Poth said. “But with Eric, Morgan, and Jack we know it’s in capable hands.”

Eric Poth said he rec­og­nizes the gap in the team’s fin­ishes and says that he, Mor­rison, and Shelley are going to strive to close it.

“A big moti­vation factor for our 4 – 6 this year is we know our top 3 are going to have a good day and we need to pull our weight,” Poth said.

The team’s fourth place finish should be good enough to move the Chargers several spots higher in the con­ference standings. Eric Poth said good races like the Greater Louisville Classic help the team establish an identity for itself as the con­ference meet creeps closer.

“We showed we are good enough to compete for a con­ference cham­pi­onship and that’s exciting,” Poth said.

Being first among 412 other tal­ented runners is utterly amazing. Well done, Mr. Humes!