Charger golfers pose for a picture after winning the G-MAC Fall Invi­ta­tional. John Quint | Courtesy

At Fox Run Golf Club in St. Louis, Mis­souri, the Chargers put together a few con­sistent rounds and placed sixth at the dif­ficult Fox Run Golf Club. Sixteen teams com­peted at the Uni­versity of Mis­souri-St. Louis Cham­pi­onship Monday and Tuesday, and the Chargers’ 598 fell a little short of Lin­denwood University’s winning score of 577.

Freshman Josh Dav­enport posted a one-over-par 145, which was the low score for Hillsdale and tied-fourth in the tour­nament. Coming in behind him were freshman Logan Anuszkiewicz and senior Ryan Zetwick with six-over-par 150s. Seniors Liam Purslowe shot nine-over par 153 and Andy Grayson fin­ished three strokes back at 156.

Grayson’s first round 80 was the only round outside of the 70’s, but overall the team had to fight its way up the leader­board on the second day.

“We put our­selves in a hole after the front nine on Monday,” Grayson said. “While we did fight back, which was good, it was just too much to overcome”

A dis­ap­pointing start could be attributed to the tough weather con­di­tions. After a rainy weekend, the course lengthened as the balls stopped rolling as far in the fairways. Dav­enport said the course was “very wet,” which meant the course “played longer than expected.”

A con­se­quence of a longer course is less scoring on par 5s, tra­di­tionally scoring holes for tal­ented golfers. Having longer clubs in to greens that are already dif­ficult to hit allows fewer oppor­tu­nities for birdies. How the Chargers played par 5’s com­pared to last week frus­trated Grayson, he said.

“The biggest dif­ference from the GMAC was that we didn’t play the par 5s as well and made too many big numbers to stay in con­tention,” he said.

Looking ahead, Grayson said he is expecting pre­cision to be a big factor at next week’s tour­nament at the Tour­nament Players Club in Dearborn, Michigan.

“There are a lot more hazards out there so it’s going to be very important to keep the ball in play to keep the big numbers off the card,” he said.

He also expects the colder weather to throw an added variable into the mix, though he said this can be managed by the team.

“Fig­uring out dis­tances of clubs will be a big chal­lenge,” Grayson said, but also added, “Our team is a bunch of good ball strikers and those are the types of players that can play well at TPC courses.”