The men’s tennis team poses with Hillsdale College Pres­ident Larry Arnn after clinching the G-MAC regular season title. (Cleves Delp | Courtesy)

The Hillsdale Chargers closed out their fall season with a 16 – 11 singles and doubles record at the Racer Invi­ta­tional last weekend in Lima, Ohio.

Head coach Keith Turner felt pos­itive about the tour­nament, con­sid­ering the tough com­pe­tition the Chargers faced. Sim­i­larly, Turner felt the fall season helped the team improve and served as a gauge for the upcoming spring season.

“I could see the improvement overall with the team from when we started 6 weeks ago,” he said. “We need to con­tinue to work hard on the practice court and in the weight room during the off season until our next match on Feb. 2. If we con­tinue to improve we will have a chance as repeating as G-MAC cham­pions.”

Sophomore Gabe Katz won the no. 5 singles flight, beating North­western Ohio and Wayne State in straight sets and then North­western Ohio again in a tiebreak 4 – 6, 6 – 2, 10 – 4.

Junior Charlie Adams won the No. 1 singles con­so­lation bracket against Tiffin’s Nikita Par­fenov and Northwood’s Kobus Sauerman with scores of 6 – 3, 6 – 0 and 6 – 1, 6 – 3.

Senior John Ciraci won no. 3 singles con­so­lation, beating both Austin Mohamedali and Justin Kopronica of Tiffin 6 – 2, 6 – 0 and 6 – 3, 6 – 0.  

Freshman Brian Hackman won no. 4 singles con­so­lation bracket, beating Tiffin’s Ryan Gase 6 – 1, 6 – 1 and then North­western Ohio’s Duarte Teixeira in a three-set 6 – 4, 4 – 6, 10 – 7 final.  

In no. 3 doubles, sopho­mores Gabe Katz and Nico de Enrique beat Kane and Szarek in finals with a victory of 8 — 0.

With the con­clusion of the fall season, Katz, who achieved several vic­tories this season, found the fall to be a time for cri­tique in order to improve for the upcoming spring season.

“The fall season is mostly just a warmup for the spring season, and the tour­na­ments we played this fall showed that I need to improve a lot by the time spring comes,”  Katz said. “I’m excited for the spring season, because we play a lot of very good teams, but we have a long way to go before then.”