Don’t underestimate the Greek system

Home Opinion Don’t underestimate the Greek system
Don’t underestimate the Greek system
Sigma Chi house | Hillsdale College

The Greek affiliations of Hillsdale students and alumni are often overlooked, but in many cases, these connections are a contributing reason to continued success.

Regardless of the letters they wear, Greeks across the business landscape are proud of and fondly remember their fraternity or sorority. This pride pushes them to go above and beyond for their brothers and sisters, which is why alumni connections are often so strong within the Greek system. There is something deeper that binds them.

As I reported on Oct. 4, Hillsdale College has built an influential relationship with General Motors  through alumni connections, built in part by Hillsdale’s Greek community. Both Director of Employer Relations at Hillsdale College’s Career Services John Quint and Senior Financial Analyst at Cadillac Michael Koziara were active members of the Sigma Chi fraternity during their time on campus. Quint graduated in ’09 and Koziara in ’15. Though they did not attend school at the same time, they knew each other through the fraternity. This allowed Quint and Koziara to establish a relationship that has employed at least one Hillsdale alumnus each year since Koziara got to GM, representing a tangible good done for others through the fraternity and the college.

Hillsdale students, past and present, will always feel a connection to each other because of their alma mater. But the Greek system takes those connections and instills in them an automatic level of trust — actives and alumni in the same chapter of a fraternity or sorority share a background that goes beyond just Hillsdale College. This bond spans generations. Being involved in the Greek system may not guarantee a job opportunity or connection with someone in power (nor should it), but it does provide a sense of familiarity that could lead to further opportunities.

I wore letters when I attended the GM presentation during Resume Week on Sept. 28. When the alumni made their introductions, Koziara introduced himself as a Sigma Chi and greeted me with our motto, “In Hoc.” After the meeting, he came over to where I sat to ask about the chapter’s progress. Though I had never met him, he made it clear he’s invested in me and our house, and wants to see us succeed. This relationship — this brotherhood — is what binds people together even after college.

When I spoke to Quint, he said of his networking with Koziara, “The connection was Hillsdale first, Sigma Chi was an added bonus.” But added bonuses should not be discounted, and the ability to network Greek life encourages should not be ignored.

Ryan Goff is a sophomore studying economics.