(Photo: Hillsdale College Ath­letics)

The Chargers hosted their season home opener with a win over Dav­enport Uni­versity on Sat­urday. The meet was the first for Dav­enport in its school history.

The Chargers’ sprinters had suc­cessful races, with senior Suzanne DeTar taking first place in the 50 freestyle with a time of 25.60 seconds and junior Vic­toria Addis taking third in 25.99. Freshman Taylor Boyle placed second in the 100 freestyle in 57.00 while freshman Madeline Breay took third in 57.50.

The Chargers swept the 1000 freestyle with Breay taking first, fin­ishing in 11 minutes, 17.78 seconds in her first home meet. Senior Grace Houghton took second in the event with a time of 11:27.43, and freshman Becca Briskey took third in 13:09.56.

Junior Catherine Voisin took first in the 100 but­terfly with a 1:00.90 finish, while freshman Anna Clark took an extremely close second in 1:00.92.

In the 100 breast­stroke, senior Anika Ellingson fin­ished first in 1:07.52, and Breay fol­lowed in second with a time of 1:10.55.

Sophomore Katherine Heeres added a close first-place finish for Hillsdale, in the 100 back­stroke, with a time of 1:00.28, while junior Bailey Bick­er­staff took third in 1:01.87.

“It’s always a little dif­ficult to know what to expect going into the first meet of the season,” Heeres said. “Coach really encouraged us to just do our best and have fun, and I think we did that pretty well.”

In the 500 freestyle, sophomore Hannah Wilkens took second place with a time of 5:30.32. Freshman Stephanie Walker made her college debut with a third-place finish in 5:31.73.

Heeres took second in the 200 indi­vidual medley with a time 2:16.30, while Ellingson took third with a time of 2:18.78.

The Hillsdale “A” team, con­sisting of Heeres, Ellingson, Voisin, and DeTar, took first in the 200 yard medley relay with a time of 1:50.76. The Chargers’ “B” team, fea­turing Boyle, sopho­mores Mary Vita and Emma Rao, and DeTar, fin­ished third in 1:52.77.

“Obvi­ously times will improve as the season pro­gresses, but I think we all came out of the meeting feeling good about where we started out,” Heeres said. “Now we just have to buckle down and con­tinue to work hard throughout the rest of the season.”