Charger golfers pose for a picture after winning the G-MAC Fall Invi­ta­tional. John Quint | Courtesy

The third-ranked Chargers will travel to St. Louis, Mis­souri, for the second tour­nament of the semester at Fox Run Golf Club on Monday. 

The 36-hole UMSL Regional Invi­ta­tional will include 18 teams from the Midwest Region, where Hillsdale enjoys its third-place ranking out of 34 teams. 

Fox Run demands pre­cision off the tee and into the green of nearly every hole with only a few great oppor­tu­nities for scoring. 

“The course is a second shot golf course with an emphasis on putting the ball in the right place on the green,” Gilchrist said. “The team has had success at the event the past few years and look to clean up some mental errors and win their second event in a row.”

Senior Andy Grayson says the Chargers know the dif­fi­culty, but they still have the con­fi­dence to go low.

“Fox Run is going to be a tough test as it is the probably the most dif­ficult course we are going to play all year,” Grayson said. “As a team, we com­peted for the title at this tour­nament last year as we were the leaders of tour­nament after round one.”

Freshman Josh Dav­enport says he’s pre­pared for a tough test, having never played at Fox Run.

“I’m expecting a long, firm course with some chal­lenging greens,” Dav­enport said.

For Grayson, this week comes at a great time con­fi­dence-wise. He and Liam Purslowe qual­ified for the 2019 U.S. Ameteur Four-Ball Tour­nament with a 64 at the Country Club of Lansing. Four-Ball is a format of play where each team takes the better of the two scores for each hole. The format allows teams the ability to take risks by taking more aggressive lines into holes. 

“I hit driver well all day so it allowed us both to be aggressive,” Grayson said. “We had a chip-in birdie and made a long putt for par on the third hole to keep the momentum going.”

Their 64 was tied for second and forced a playoff for the final spot in the qual­i­fying section.

“Liam hit the fairway and green and lagged a 50 foot putt to about a foot while the other team missed a 30 footer and an eight-footer for par,” Grayson said. “It felt awesome when that putt dropped and we were able to cel­e­brate qual­i­fying for the final.”

The fifth annual Cham­pi­onship will be held at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort May 25 – 29.