Last week, Career Ser­vices hosted their first Resume Week event, a weeklong resume workshop for stu­dents, espe­cially juniors and seniors. Ryan Goff | Col­legian

Last week Career Ser­vices set up shop in the Grewcock Student Union during lunch hours to give resume advice to Hillsdale College stu­dents.

The Career Ser­vices team hosted Resume Week, a first-time workshop program, in the union this week. Student mentors looked to shape up resumes for fellow stu­dents inter­ested in attending the Hillsdale Job and Internship Fair on Oct. 11. The student mentors brought their skills to the busiest part of campus and worked mostly with juniors and seniors.

Sophomore Student Affairs Mentor Dennis Fassett said he enjoyed the oppor­tunity to work on resumes outside of the Career Ser­vices office.

“It’s really great to take what we do in the office to everyone in the union. I think it makes us more acces­sible,” Fassett said.

Sor far, 38 employers have reg­is­tered to be on campus for the October fair, according to Director of Employer Rela­tions John Quint. Some of these employers include com­panies like New York Life Insurance Company, OpenTheBooks.com, and Sky­light Financial Group. Quint plans to send a packet to the employers ahead of the event, each including the 60 pol­ished resumes col­lected during the week.

Quint said the event’s turnout pushed him to organize more for the spring semester Clas­sical School Job Fair and a private school job fair that takes place Feb­ruary in Lansing.

“It went really well. Once a couple stu­dents got a little bit of help, word spread and there was more comfort with bringing resumes to the table,” Quint said. “I’m really eager to do some­thing like that again, in light of the response we had.”

In the two days leading up to the Job and Internship Fair, Career Ser­vices plans to set up another booth to help stu­dents stand out in loud set­tings like job fairs, according to Quint.

Resume Week con­cluded with a pre­sen­tation by General Motors in the Career Ser­vices office and their own set of resume reviews in the union. David Ritchie ’17 and Ian Genzler ’17, now second-year financial ana­lysts at GM, sat at the table in the union, going over resumes and saying hello to old friends.

Joined by fourth-year financial analyst Michael Koziara ’15 and first-year analyst Paul Gal­loway ’18, the four gave two pre­sen­ta­tions in the Career Ser­vices office Friday. The earlier one was attended by many stu­dents, while the latter was much more intimate. The ana­lysts explained how they got to where they are and pitched the GM finance and accounting intern­ships to the stu­dents.

The Hillsdale-GM rela­tionship has roots that were set on campus not long ago, according to Quint.

“After getting the job on his own volition, Koziara found out that we had a Sigma Chi alumni who was the [CFO of GM North America]. He made it a point of reaching out to John Sta­pleton ’90,” he said. “He engaged with tapleton, and that led to a con­ver­sation where John empowered Michael to build that bridge with GM.”

Koziara and Quint worked together to get as many Hillsdale stu­dents as they could into GM intern­ships. This strong alumni con­nection ben­e­fitted many in a little under four years.

“We have had a lot of people who are now employees of GM as a result of Koziara bridging the gap,” Quint said.

This sort of rela­tionship lies at the heart of Career Ser­vices’ mission with its smaller pro­grams like Resume Week. They seek to get as many people in the door and qual­ified for posi­tions they know are available at com­panies across the country.

“It’s a great example of the rela­tionship we want with Fortune-500 com­panies,” said junior Student Affairs Mentor Jackson Frerichs. “We rely on a few ded­i­cated alumni to do what our GM alumni are doing.”