Wall Street Journal, Flickr

The Wall Street Journal released its list of top col­leges this week, but Hillsdale College did not appear among the nearly 1,000 uni­ver­sities and private schools men­tioned.

Hillsdale has demon­strated its merit to the Journal. The Journal’s edi­torial board staffs Hillsdale jour­nalism alumni, and stu­dents and faculty fre­quently appear in its pages.

The Journal’s senior com­mu­ni­ca­tions director Steve Sev­er­inghaus told the Col­legian that Hillsdale was excluded from its top col­leges list because it “does not par­tic­ipate in the federal student aid program.” This means that, to be con­sidered, a school must submit certain infor­mation to the Department of Edu­cation, including data on federal student loan rates and the eth­nic­ities of stu­dents and faculty. Doing this would undermine Hillsdale’s mission, which relies on remaining unfet­tered from gov­ernment inter­ference.  

Other college infor­mation ser­vices, like the U.S. News & World Report and Princeton Review, include Hillsdale in their rankings. Instead of relying on infor­mation pro­vided by the federal gov­ernment, these orga­ni­za­tions reach out to schools indi­vid­ually. The WSJ should do the same.

Hillsdale’s rela­tionship with the Journal should be more than enough to merit con­sid­er­ation, regardless of whether the college accepts federal funds. But Hillsdale’s aca­demic stan­dards and selective admit­tance rates also surpass many of the schools listed in the Journal’s rankings.

The Journal claims its ranking puts “student success and learning at its heart.” If that’s the case, it shouldn’t keep its readers in the dark about a top-ranked college com­mitted to its stu­dents’ growth and excel­lence.  

The Wall Street Journal like most printed news­papers is failing. Until and unless they attract enough online sub­scribers they’re headed for either out­right financial failure, or mar­gin­al­ization of their message.

It would be smart for folks like Mr. Sev­er­inghaus to appre­ciate that his hubris and attitude isn’t appre­ciated among many in the great hin­terland, between the two coasts. Hillsdale College occupies a coveted spot among con­ser­v­ative insti­tu­tions of higher learning and they put their money where their mouth is regarding not accepting state or federal funding of any kind. That is worthy of respect, not con­dem­nation.

• Camus53

WSJ failing.…once again you reveal yourself.
      Drinking that trumpaide again! Careful it’ll rot your brain.