Children with ADHD find it more dif­ficult than others to focus | Wiki­media Commons

Jordan Nied was at college for almost a full year before he realized he had attention-deficit hyper­ac­tivity dis­order.

“I always felt like I was not living up to my full potential,” Nied said. “It often felt like no matter how well I was doing in school, I wasn’t doing as well as I could do.”

Char­ac­terized by an inability to focus, fid­geting, and a lack of impulse control, stu­dents with ADHD can often struggle in class­rooms and with homework. Roughly 5 percent of children between the ages of 2 and 17 have ADHD, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Pre­vention.

Now a junior, Nied runs a peer support group for those with ADHD through the Ambler Health and Wellness Center. The group meets each week to share infor­mation about the dis­order and to build a com­munity.

Nied said although ADHD comes with struggles, it also has its ben­efits — like cre­ativity and increased empathy.

“My brain won’t turn off,” Nied said, “but I’m always gen­er­ating ideas.”

Although there are resources for stu­dents with learning dis­abil­ities offered through the dean’s office, Nied said he wished there was more awareness of ADHD on campus. He said he hopes this group will be able to break down some of the stigmas sur­rounding the dis­order.

“I want people who are strug­gling with it to realize there’s a bunch of other people on campus,” Nied said. “I don’t want people to think they’re broken.”

The group meets on Wednesday at 7 p.m. in Lane 235 B. For more infor­mation, contact Jordan Nied at jnied@hillsdale.edu