‘Into the Plains’ to premiere at Hillsdale

Home Alumni ‘Into the Plains’ to premiere at Hillsdale
(L to R) Warren Ryd, former student Josh Hamilton, senior Chandler Ryd, and Tristan Lyon collaborated on a short film. Barb Doyle | Courtesy

After countless hours of sitting at a desk and filming with a small budget, Chandler Ryd, ’18, will release his short film “Into the Plains,” Saturday, Sep. 15 in the Sage Center for the Arts.

The film centers on a woman who, after losing her child, abandons her husband and sets out on a road trip to escape her grief. Ryd explores the harsh reality of grief, providing insight into its complexities for the audience.

“There’s something important about the relationship and connection that the artist and audience have through that work,” Ryd said. “It’s proper for a relationship to be there between an audience and the artist.”

While creating the film was a challenge, Ryd’s strong drive to produce this film and his confidence in his abilities helped him conquer worry and doubt.

As a filmmaker, a full-time student with a job, and husband-to-be, he knew that he could not pursue this project on his own. His friends volunteered to help with the film, and a creative director from production company Access Media Group provided a large amount of aid, allowing Ryd to focus on the film’s production.

Due to the amount of support he received from campus, Ryd said he wanted friends and faculty to enjoy watching this film in an optimal environment. He said he wants some element of interaction as well, enhancing the audience’s personal relationship with the film.

“It’s so exciting to see other English majors graduate and pursue what they love,” Junior Maria Forsythe said. “Chandler is so creative and I’m looking forward to watching it on Saturday.”

“Into the Plains” will premiere Saturday from 7 to 8:30 p.m. in Hanes Room at the Sage Center. There will be two viewings, with the second accompanied by a live director’s commentary.