Sol­diers train at Fort Custer Training Center in Augusta, Michigan | Wiki­media Commons

On Sat­urday Sept. 15 the men of Koon, Nied­feldt, and Whitley, led by Asso­ciate Dean of Men Chief Rogers, will travel to Fort Custer to par­tic­ipate in a group activity designed to be fun while also drawing them closer together.

Dorms will meet at 7:30 a.m. for a bus ride up to the fort, where they will work sep­a­rately and in teams to com­plete the activ­ities.

“We’re going to par­tic­ipate in a con­fi­dence course,” said Vins Berggren, a res­ident assistant in Nied­feldt. “It should be very fun.”

Kala­mazoo News, citing a Hackett news release, reported that the course involves events such as moving “a 50-gallon drum or 40-pound box…across or over various obstacles.” There are four dif­ferent sta­tions, the report said.

After com­pleting the course, stu­dents will hear from pro­fessors, including Pro­fessor of Pol­itics Adam Car­rington. Car­rington will speak on how to develop true male friend­ships during college.

“I think it will be a great team-building activity,” Nied­feldt Res­ident Assistant Nick Macaluso said. “I think it will bring us closer to the other dorms and closer to each other.”

• Tyler Groe­nendal

If this had hap­pened when I was a student (a mandatory “team-building” retreat with a group of random people who live in the same building that I do), I probably would have dropped out.

agree. this is really weird. did they make them do jesus stuff? big thumbs down. first weekend of college is sup­posed to be where you make some bad deci­sions and exercise some new­found freedom