Cit­izens for Self Gov­er­nance hosted the Pol­itics and Policy Mixer for all of the political clubs on campus to build com­munity. Emily Heubaum | Courtesy

Political groups on campus came together for the Cit­izens for Self Gov­er­nance Pol­itics and Policy Mixer.

The mixer, modeled after the Source with tables for each dif­ferent group, was meant to help stu­dents meet the dif­ferent groups on campus and learn how to become involved.

“One reason was to make it easier for freshman and other stu­dents who want to get involved with pol­itics to nav­igate all the dif­ferent pol­itics groups,” junior Emily Heubaum, CSG mar­keting chair, said. “It can be hard to tell the dif­ference, what each one does day to day, and what they stand for.”

College Repub­licans Pres­ident Aidan Wheeler said the mixer allowed members to meet potential new members.

“It was a great oppor­tunity, past the Source, to have a table out there and just explain what we do,” Wheeler said. “I think it’s great to engage with the stu­dents as much as pos­sible, gauge their interest in things, and let them know what we’re really about.”

Heubaum said CSG also wanted to bring the political com­munity together, provide a space for civil dis­course, and show the massive amount of member overlap between groups.

“We wanted to bring the groups together and promote goodwill and coop­er­ation,” Heubaum said. “It was a big concern of ours because we are non­par­tisan and we do have a lot of mem­bership overlap between groups. We wanted to show to us and to campus that there’s no infighting. We’re here to get involved together in a way that’s con­structive.”

Heubaum said another factor in putting on the mixer was that CSG is a new club.

“We don’t want to step on anybody’s toes,” Heubaum said. “This was our goodwill offering to the other groups on campus. We just want to promote a pos­itive envi­ronment instead of some­thing that is weirdly toxic.”

College Democrats Pres­ident junior Madeline Hedrick said CSG was able to create a com­fortable envi­ronment for all the groups.

“The most common thing we hear at events like these is ‘I don’t agree with you, but I’m really glad you’re on campus,’” Hedrick said. “When you’re trying to get members, that’s not some­thing that you nec­es­sarily want to hear. It’s always very reas­suring to hear that even though we don’t think the same way, we’re appre­ciated.”

Some groups found unique ways to draw stu­dents to their tables. Hillsdale College for Life encouraged stu­dents to call their sen­ators and urge the con­fir­mation of Brett Kavanaugh.

“The pro-life movement is larger than pol­itics but pol­itics is a part of it,” sophomore Bryce Asberg, Hillsdale College for Life policy director said. “We were there to inform people about pro-life bills pro­posed in the Michigan leg­is­lator. We had at least 19 stu­dents call their sen­ators, eight sign up for our email list that we hadn’t met at the Source, and lots of people that were already on our email list that we got to connect with again.”

Asberg said the mixer was a good way to learn about the other policy groups on campus.

“It was a really great event that a lot of stu­dents came out for,” Asberg said. “It was a great time to interface with the groups on campus that you might not come in contact with and to make sure that they know what you’re doing and you know what they’re doing, so you can work together when you can.”