Charger golfers and staff at Pine­hurst Resort, four-time host of a PGA major tour­nament. (Photo: John Quint | Courtesy)

As the summer comes to a close, the Hillsdale golf team is looking toward the fall season. Its first of four tour­na­ments begins Monday in Columbus, Indiana, at the G-MAC Fall Invi­ta­tional. The tour­nament will last two days at the Otter Creek Golf Club. 

Bal­ancing intern­ships and golf in the off­season, the Chargers feel they’re at a point to compete early in the semester, according to head coach Nathan Gilchrist.

“Everyone has played in some tour­na­ments, trying to stay sharp and become men­tally tougher in a com­pet­itive envi­ronment,” he said.

Junior Ryan Zetwick said he is excited to start playing and feels the team is pre­pared to do well.

“I think that the whole team is very excited for the fall,” Zetwick said. “We all worked really hard over the summer and I know most of us played in some tour­na­ments so we should all be fresh and ready to go right away.”

The team’s con­fi­dence is helped in part by the addition of six freshman golfers.

“All of them are great players and have the oppor­tunity to play in tour­na­ments right away if they play well in qual­i­fying,” Gilchrist said.

The heightened com­pet­itive atmos­phere brought by these new players and returning stars like senior Liam Purslowe, a G-MAC Player of the Week in the spring and top fin­isher at the G-MAC Cham­pi­onship in April, add excitement to the year ahead.

“This year’s team has a lot of depth and at any time a dif­ferent player could earn a spot in the starting line up,” Gilchrist said.

The feeling is shared by those on the team as well. 

“We def­i­nitely have the talent to be the best team in our con­ference this year,” Zetwick said.