Several former Gal­loway res­i­dents moved to Whitley this year. Cecelia Pletan | Col­legian.

Due to extensive ren­o­va­tions on Gal­loway res­i­dence this year, Gal­loway guys are setting up new digs at Whitley res­i­dence, which served as a women’s res­i­dence last year.

According to senior Car­oline Andrews, Whitley res­ident assistant from 2016 to 2017, Whitley was a “pretty quiet place” when she lived there.

“There was a great secret com­munity within its walls where girls would spend time studying, cooking, drinking tea, or just enjoying one another’s company,” she said.

Girls there would rou­tinely have Friday night movie nights, and, during her time, even started par­tic­i­pating in the annual Hillsdale home­coming week tra­dition of dorm mock rock.

Sophomore Bridget Boyd, a second-year transfer student and Whitley res­ident last year, agreed that the dorm was a “quiet place” to come back to last year. However, when she heard her old dorm was going to the guys, she said her first thought was, “Maybe that’s all good old Whitley needed: some ram­bunc­tious dudes.”

In order to set a new tone for the year, senior Calvin Kinney, head res­ident assistant of Whitley, said the new res­i­dents created a dorm motto. “We wanted to create a dorm motto that everyone could rally around” Kinney said, so he and his res­i­dents came up with the phrase, “Men of Honor.”

Kinney explained, “We didn’t just want to say, ‘Oh, we’re men of honor’ — we wanted to put some­thing in the dorm that we could tan­gibly look at every time we walk in.” To this end, the men of Whitley designed a poster board plaque of sorts, with the honor code written on the outside and the slogan, “Men of Honor” on the inside. Then, each res­ident signed it. Kinney said they have plans to hang it on the wall beside the front door.

For res­i­dents like Rowan Macwan, junior and res­ident assistant in Whitley, being a “man of honor” means “standing up for what’s important to me” while being “honest, open, and trans­parent.”

“I think that’s really important to devel­oping com­munity because with guys it’s easy to joke around and to act as if you’re very familiar with each other without having any real rela­tionship with each other,” Macwan said. “Being honest and open is an important way that as men we are to interact with each other and to help each other grow … and it’s important as far as being hon­orable men.”

Macwan said he was ini­tially dis­ap­pointed to leave the halls of Gal­loway behind this year: “I miss the place,” he said. But he said he is excited for the year to come. So is Kinney, who said he is “pretty stoked to do some­thing dif­ferent, to create some­thing new” in the new-to-them res­i­dence.

Whitley has an occu­pancy of just 48 stu­dents, while Galloway’s occu­pancy falls some­where around 75 stu­dents. And although Whitley had been an upper­classmen dorm while it housed women, the new crowd of guys brings with it 13 freshmen as well. The Gal­loway crew has always wel­comed freshmen, however, according to Kinney and Macwan.

One residual tra­dition they used to kick off the year and inte­grate dorm upper­classmen and freshman alike was Whitley’s first “Feast”: a shirtless cookout com­plete with lots of food, loud music, and dorm fes­tiv­ities. Gal­loway hosted Feast every week until ren­o­va­tions took over this summer, Kinney said, so the first feast of the year at Whitley was sig­nif­icant to helping keep Gal­loway culture alive. According to Kinney, the atten­dance often “is like a diaspora…a lot of those [pre­vious Gal­loway res­i­dents] even come back for feast every week, which is really cool and keeps the culture alive a little bit more.”

Addi­tionally, the men of Whitley are putting their heads together to create their own new “sig­nature event,” according to Kinney. Kinney and Macwan also men­tioned the pos­si­bility of outdoor movie nights with smores this semester, and on a broader scale, “very poten­tially,” a dorm block party involving other dorms on campus.

“Cre­ating a com­pletely new culture while pre­serving our old culture is just a really big task, but it’s also exciting. It’s a lot of work, but it’s a lot of fun to see it come together.” Kinney said.