Student Fed members are inducted. Emily Blatter, January 25, 2017 | Col­legian

Hillsdale College’s Student Fed­er­ation swore in two new rep­re­sen­ta­tives at their first meeting for this school year on Aug. 30.

Senior graduate student William Turton is the new rep­re­sen­tative for Hillsdale’s graduate school and has been added to the campus improvement com­mittee. Senior Gar­rison Grisedale now rep­re­sents his fra­ternity, Alpha Tau Omega, and has been added to the budget com­mittee. Both rep­re­sen­ta­tives will also be involved in the finance com­mittee.

Senior Kolbe Conger, vice pres­ident of the board, shared one of his main goals for the fed­er­ation this fall.

“One of the things we really want to push this semester now is getting more clubs to come to finance com­mittee so that they can get funding for their things,” he said. “Without them coming, we don’t have any­thing to spend the money on.”

The graduate school has always had a rep­re­sen­tative, he said, though they were not as involved pre­vi­ously.

“It’s a really great oppor­tunity for me to rep­resent the graduate school in Student Fed­er­ation, and perhaps bring a little bit of a dif­ferent per­spective to some of the issues that Student Fed­er­ation deals with,” Turton said.

As an ATO, Grisedale said he wants to rep­resent his fraternity’s interests to the Fed­er­ation.

“I want to make sure that we’re able to make our voices heard,” he said. “We don’t want the Student Fed becoming a detached process. We want it much more organic. We want it directly talking to dif­ferent student groups made up of members. That’s my goal.”