First faculty recital will be Sept. 7 and Sept. 9. | Facebook

The Hillsdale College Department of Music will host two faculty recitals Sept. 7 and Sept. 9. The first recital will feature Pro­fessor of Music Melissa Knecht on the viola, Lec­turer in Music Amy Ley on the harp, Lec­turer in Music Jaimie Wagner on the flute, and Adjunct Pro­fessor of Music Katherine Rick on the piano. The second recital will be a solo recital, fea­turing Daniel Tacke, asso­ciate pro­fessor of music, on the harp­si­chord. 

The theme of the first recital is “Sub­merged.” Knecht chose this title due to the com­bi­nation of instru­ments and choice of music. 

“It’s music that is very atmos­pheric,” Knecht said. “You’ll find an inter­esting com­bi­nation that a lot of com­posers like by using the com­bi­nation of the darker sound of viola and the [lighter sound of the] flute and then the harp. It’s a great color com­bi­nation.” 

Rick will be playing a solo piece, as well as a duo with Wagner. Rick has played the piano since she was six and, moti­vated by sibling rivalry, began playing the piano. Since then, she has stuck with music. Now at Hillsdale, she expresses her love for what she does. 

“I love my job here at Hillsdale and being able to work with awesome stu­dents,” Rick said. “Accom­pa­nying both faculty and stu­dents for all kinds of recitals, being on stage con­stantly, it’s a lot of fun.” 

Tacke will be taking a dif­ferent route for his solo recital. Rather than choose an instrument that most people are familiar with, Tacke will play two pieces for the harp­si­chord. Tacke has selected pieces specif­i­cally written for the harp­si­chord by Jean-Philippe Rameau and Johann Sebastian Bach. 

“They are very similar in terms of their chronology but also very dif­ferent,” Tacke said. “One thing I attribute to them is they will showcase the instru­ments in really dif­ferent ways.” 

Growing up, Tacke had played key­board instru­ments, but picked up the harp­si­chord in graduate school. Since then, it has been his primary instrument. 

Tacke hopes to showcase the idio­syn­crasies of the instrument, in com­parison with the piano. Tacke even men­tioned the two pieces will con­trast the dif­ferent ele­ments of the instrument. 

“The instrument has its own unique beauty, all kinds of unique problems that come with beauty,” Tacke said. “The potential for expression that the instrument offers is very dif­ferent. I try and choose reper­toire that are going to draw out those dis­tinc­tions.” 

Tacke said he endeavors to make the harp­si­chord acces­sible to his audience. 

“One of the inter­esting things is learning to nav­igate the idio­syn­crasies,” Tacke said. “Learning to make the thing sing and be expressive despite some things about it that are kind of bristly.” 

According to Knecht, music con­tributes to Hillsdale’s pursuit of beauty in a special way. 

“It’s like a non­verbal under­standing of the beauty of God in a dif­ferent way,” Knecht said. 

The first per­for­mance will be at 8 p.m. in the Markel Audi­torium fol­lowed by the second per­for­mance at 3 p.m. in Conrad Recital Hall.