Chargers win G-MAC Fall Invitational

Home Charger Golf Chargers win G-MAC Fall Invitational
Chargers win G-MAC Fall Invitational
Charger golfers pose for a picture after winning the G-MAC Fall Invitational. John Quint | Courtesy

Tuesday afternoon, Hillsdale College Chargers stood behind the 18th green of Otter Creek Golf Club with a glass trophy in hand. At the end of the three-round G-MAC Fall Invitational in Columbus, Indiana, the Chargers outplayed the pack to take the championship in their first tournament of the year.

“It’s hard to describe what it feels like getting a win after three years of having no success,” senior and captain Liam Purslowe said. 

The Charged finished with a final score of 865 (+1), shooting a combined 3-under 285 on the final day to beat out second place Findlay by four strokes. Individually, Hillsdale had three players in the top 10 and five in the top 20. 

Purslowe finished highest on the Chargers with a 1-under 215 that earned him fourth, followed closely by freshman Logan Anuszkiewicz at tied-sixth 217 (+1). Senior Andy Grayson shot a three-over 219 to place tied-eighth, and junior Ryan Zetwick and freshman Josh Davenport rounded out the top 20 at five-over and eight-over, respectively. 

“I started really slow in the morning but fought back to get it to square for the day and -1 for the tournament after being +2 early. I don’t think any of the guys really started their rounds well,” Purslowe said. “But everyone bounced back and was patient enough to roll in some putts later in the day.”

After posting a career low tournament score, Grayson felt good about translating his practice into results. 

“It was nice to actually put together a performance like we did as we’ve been thinking we’ve had this type of ability of for the last 3 years,” Grayson said. 

The win shows an increased confidence level among the players. 

“In the past, I feel like we’ve doubted ourselves or been nervous when in position to win, and this week we just trusted ourselves and believed that we should win,” Zetwick said. 

Going forward into the fall season, the Chargers are energized to convert more matches into good finishes. 

“For the next tournament, I think we are going to work a lot on chipping around the greens,” Grayson said. “It could help us shave a few more shots and be a scary good team.