The men’s tennis team poses with Hillsdale College Pres­ident Larry Arnn after clinching the G-MAC regular season title. (Cleves Delp | Courtesy)

In its first tour­nament at West Liberty Uni­versity in West Vir­ginia, the Hillsdale College men’s tennis team began the fall season with a few indi­vidual vic­tories at last weekend’s Hill­topper Invi­ta­tional.

After rec­og­nizing Blue­field State Uni­versity as one of the main com­petitors at the tour­nament, freshman Brian Hackman, alongside senior John Ciraci, beat Blue­field in the finals of the “A” doubles draw.

“I messed up a few times under the pressure, but I’ve learned from it. It really was just for expe­rience,” Hackman said. “I’m really happy I got that expe­rience and the fact that we could have won as the No. 2 team, I’m happy about that.”

Although the first two rounds of No. 6 singles he won were not the most chal­lenging according to Hackman, he said he used the oppor­tunity to focus on his footwork and tech­nique.

Hackman says he enjoys being a part of the team so far, and is adjusting well with other team members.

“It’s awesome. I really like all of the guys on the team, and I feel that I fit in well,” Hackman said. “They encourage me and always provide support and advice, so it’s a good time.”

Although Hackman and Ciraci ended up losing a doubles round to Blue­field State, the amount of vic­tories up against No. 1 and No. 2 teams from dif­ferent uni­ver­sities proved impressive and encour­aging to all of the players.

Junior Julien Clouette also expe­ri­enced his own vic­tories, winning two rounds of singles against Fairmont State Uni­versity and Charleston Uni­versity, respec­tively, and making it to the No. 5 singles flight finals. 

“I played pretty well. In the first match, it was little bit more on-and-off,” Clouette said. “But the more the tour­nament went on, the better I felt I was playing.”

The Chargers are looking forward to their upcoming match at Indiana Tech Uni­versity on Tuesday. 

“I thought it was great to knock the rust off and play some very good com­pe­tition early in the season to get us ready for our match against Indiana Tech next Tuesday and the upcoming ITA Regional Cham­pi­onships,” head coach Keith Turner said. “As a whole, I feel that the guys that were here last year are playing better at this time than last year.”

I am expecting another GMAC cham­pi­onship for both the Men’s and Women’s tennis teams. We cer­tainly have the talent. The Hackman’s are going to make some serious con­tri­bu­tions for the squads right out of the gate, looks like.