The Col­legian pub­lished a recap of Home­coming events in the October 12, 1978 issue. 

Home­coming wel­comed near 2,000

By:Randy Jaros

1978 Home­coming Queen Michele Ward. (Nicholson/Collegian)

Once again, another Home­coming Weekend has come and gone, and perhaps a little too quickly for most people. Nearly 2000 alumni returned this weekend and most left feeling glad they did so.

THE EVENTFUL weekend began Friday night with the Alumni Achievement Awards Banquet. Four alumni were honored for achieve­ments in their par­ticular pro­fes­sions. They were Neal Fenkell (Public Rela­tions), Dr. Walter Nickel (Med­icine), Milo Lude(athletics), and Clifford Get­tings (coaching and edu­cation).

There was also a special hon­orary alumni award pre­sented to Roy Becke, in recog­nition of his support towards Hillsdale College.

ON SATURDAY morning, the alumni reg­is­tered and then attended a lun­cheon in Curtiss Dining Hall. Dr. George Roche, pres­ident of Hillsdale College, and Don Mossey, chairman of the Board of Trustees, addressed the alumni, which included ten reunion classes.

Special recog­nition was given to the class of 1928, Which cel­e­brated its 50th reunion and. the class of 1955, which cel­e­brated its 25th reunion.

Fol­lowing lunch, everyone flocked to the football field to watch the game between the Chargers and the Wayne.

HERE, THE WINNERS of the float com­pe­tition, as judged by the Alumni Exec­utive Com­mittee, were announced. Three awards were pre­sented the best overall float was awarded to Chi Omega, while the out­standing women’s entry was cap­tured by Mauck Hall and the out­standing men’s entry was won by Delta Sigma Phi.

On Sat­urday night, the 1938 football team reunion took place. Although such an event has never taken place before, atten­dance was excellent. The honored guests were first served cock­tails, while Hillsdale’s Jazz Band pro­vided the music and then dinner as the Hillsdale College Choir gave a brief concert.

FOLLOWING DINNER, Dr. Roche and Jack Mas­terson, Varsity Alumni Asso­ci­ation Pres­ident, honored the team that cap­tured the MIAA cham­pi­onship with a perfect 8 – 0 record.

The Okto­berfest was the high­light of the weekend for most alumni. Food and bev­erages were served, while a live German band oom­pahed its way into the hearts of many.

The weekend con­cluded on Sunday morning with a Catholic mass at 11 a.m. and a brunch at noon. Both events were spon­sored by the Hillsdale College Christian Studies Program. 

JOHN CERVINI, director of Alumni Rela­tions and the man respon­sible for most of the activ­ities over the weekend, was very pleased that the weekend* ran as smooth as it did. But according to Cervini, not all the credit he received was his.

“I would like to thank all of the stu­dents who par­tic­i­pated as vol­un­teers this year. They did a great job. It was good to hear so many alumni express their appre­ci­ation towards the stu­dents.”

Aside from setting up home­coming, the Alumni Asso­ci­ation also plans to sponsor bus trips to various bas­ketball games for both stu­dents and alumni, the senior class picnic In the spring, and an all State of Michigan phone-a-thon for the Freedom fund In Feb­ruary.