Blade and Bones sells a plethora of trea­sures on North Howell Street. COLLEGIAN | Abigail Liebing

The sign for Michael Williams’ store, Blade and Bones, on North Howell Street reads “swords and knives, fur­niture, com­puters, camera security systems, back­packs, niteize gear, pallet gear, and more.” Williams opened the store this past summer on July 20 and like the sign says, he sells a large array of things.

The store is full of odds and ends — every­thing from couches, loft beds, and a mini pool table, to swords hanging on the walls, com­puters, and cases of dif­ferent kinds of knives.

Williams’ goal with his store is to keep his prices low.

“My big thing is I want to beat internet prices,” he said. “If you find one of my products on the internet from a legit­imate site, I will beat that price. Because we are a dis­posable society and everyone wants things so cheap. But this is actually good quali-

ty stuff at super dis­counted prices.”

For example, Williams had a couch that was orig­i­nally $600, but he was selling it for $200.

“The fur­niture is actually returns that I get from a liq­ui­dation site. If I notice damage on it, the price goes down even further,” Williams said.

Williams’ has been working with heating and air con­di­tioning systems for the past 26 years in six dif­ferent states. But after so many years of standing on con­crete floors in front of fur­naces or air con­di­tioning, Williams had to have surgery on his knee and the doctor told him that if he keeps working full time he will have to replace the knee in about five years. So Williams decided to scale back on his time in heating and air con­di­tioning and open Blade and Bones.

“I had to gear toward some­thing that would not be as stressful on my knee and the swords and knives have always been a passion, ever since I was a little boy,” Williams said. “My dad was the same way. We always had things hanging on the walls. And I’ve always had a man cave with things hanging on the walls.”

Right now, Williams is lim­iting his amount of products and trying to see what people like.

“I figured I’d stay small and see what people react to. People love the dog stuff and things like that,” he said.

But, Williams has been having a hard time getting Blade and Bones rec­og­nized in the com­munity. So far, everyone who has walked in the store has said they had no idea it was there. Williams is trying to advertise, but knows time is the key.

“It’s kind of frus­trating because I just spent $600 on adver­tising,” he said. “I just started the Facebook and its slowly catching on and reaching more people. I know it will just take time.”

Williams said he is at a dis­ad­vantage only being at the shop for three days a week.

“The other three days I’m still doing the heating and air con­di­tioning for Ryan and Bradshaw,” Williams said.

It would be better to have the store open more often, but Williams is raising his two kids by himself and the bills have to get paid so he has to keep working part time in heating and cooling.

“I got two teenagers. I’ve got to pay the bills. Whether this makes it or breaks it I got bills I got to pay. I got to feed those kids. I got soccer shoes I got to buy,” Williams said.

He has gotten a good response from the cus­tomers who have come in so he is hoping it will even­tually get more well known.

One student, junior Kiara Freeman, checked out the store and said, “I haven’t been in a store like that. It was a bunch of cool, random stuff with kind of a dark vibe. The owner was very friendly.”

Another student, junior Lydia Paroline, visited the store and said, “It’s an epic store with awesome swords and some­thing for everyone.”