The Chargers went 2 – 2 at the Ferris State Uni­versity Invi­ta­tional last week. (Photo: Matthew Kendrick / Hillsdale Col­legian)

To be the best, you have to play the best. It’s a lesson the Hillsdale vol­leyball team learned this past weekend at the Ferris State Uni­versity Invi­ta­tional in Big Rapids, Michigan.

The Chargers kicked off their season with matches against some of the best teams in the country, including Con­cordia Uni­versity, St. Paul, the defending NCAA Division II National Cham­pions.

“Three out of the four oppo­nents that we played were nationally ranked teams and the team that wasn’t nationally ranked is a regional pow­er­house,” head coach Chris Gravel said.

The Chargers went 2 – 2 in the tour­nament, beating Clarion Uni­versity in four games and No. 17 Winona State Uni­versity in three. They couldn’t quite hold off No. 21 Ferris State Uni­versity or No. 1 Con­cordia, St. Paul, dropping both matches in four games.

“The two we lost, we were in position where we could’ve won,” Gravel said. “It was a crazy weekend and there were a lot of good things that came out of it. But, anytime we lose, it doesn’t matter who we’re against. I’m not going to be happy.”

One pos­itive from the weekend was a per­sonal achievement by senior outside hitter Kara Vyletel. Vyletel notched her 1,000th career kill in the Chargers’ match against Clarion. Vyletel is now one of nine Chargers who have recorded at least 1,000 kills in their time at Hillsdale.

“Few have been able to get 1,000 kills in their career, but few have had the blessing to have such a strong team to play with for four years straight,” Vyletel said. “Without the help from middle and right side hitters acting as threats and pulling the block, I would not have been as suc­cessful. I’ve also been blessed with extremely tal­ented setters that were able to put the ball in the perfect spot for me.”

Moving forward, the Chargers don’t plan on being content with simply putting up a fight against Ferris State and Con­cordia, St. Paul. 

“We’re not going to just say the No. 1 team in the nation beat us,” freshman Mar­garet Deporre said. “We’re going to practice even harder so we can beat them the next time we see them.”

Intensity and readiness is the name of the game for this year’s Chargers, who began training for the season in early August.

“Everybody on this team is bought in,” Deporre said. “You can see it in every rep, every practice, every workout. Everybody wants to get better and everybody under­stands that if one person isn’t 100 percent bought in, then the whole program is going to suffer.”

A pre­season coaches poll pre­dicts the Chargers to suc­cess­fully defend last season’s G-MAC Cham­pi­onship.

“We’re hoping to improve from last year. Last year we had to fight from behind all year,” Gravel said. “It’s going to be tough — just the devel­opment of our current and new players, and hope­fully we stay rel­a­tively injury free.”

Gravel plans to keep his team focused, taking the season point by point.

“A real big focus is staying in the present,” Gravel said. “Right now, we’re all focused on our home opener. We’re going to live in the matches this year. We have a lot of things we need developed by the end of the season, and with a large tal­ented team, some­times it takes a little time.”

The Chargers open their con­ference schedule at home on Thursday against Ohio Valley Uni­versity at 7 p.m. Gravel encouraged stu­dents to come out and support the team.

“We work hard and try to put on a good show,” Gravel said. “We know that winning def­i­nitely helps. That’s going to be a byproduct of the effort that we’re going to put forth and our energy on and off the floor.”

The Hillsdale Vol­leyball team has taken on some pretty tough OOC com­pe­tition. It’s helped them develop their game and will be an assist as they seek another GMAC cham­pi­onship. I can see another cham­pi­onship this season!