Hillsdale College’s net val­u­ation is approaching $1 billion. Wiki­media Commons

Hillsdale College is approaching $1 billion in net worth. The college has more than $1 billion in assets and $100 million in lia­bil­ities, according to Patrick Flannery, vice pres­ident of finance and the trea­surer of Hillsdale College.

“We have a lot of assets com­pared to lia­bil­ities. It con­tinues to prove that we’re very strong finan­cially,” Flannery said.

Hillsdale College Pres­ident Larry Arnn said Hillsdale’s growing net worth is a good thing for the college: “It’s a sign of strength, which the college needs because the times are tur­bulent, and we need a cushion,” he said, noting that Hillsdale’s endowment of roughly $548 million is much smaller than endow­ments of Hillsdale’s com­petitors. Arnn said some com­petitors have endow­ments worth more than $1 billion.

Arnn does not antic­ipate sur­passing $1 billion in net worth by a certain date.

“It depends on a lot of things: people giving money, invest­ments doing well. The future is obscure,” he said.

Expansion of the college’s size does not nec­es­sarily increase the net value of the college. Con­struction of the new dorm and ren­o­vation of Gal­loway men’s res­i­dence shifts funds from cash into real estate. An edu­ca­tional center the college is con­sid­ering estab­lishing in Cal­i­fornia could only be built if the college fundraises specif­i­cally for it. Such money, as with Christ Chapel, must be given expressly for the center’s con­struction; the college could not use other funds for its con­struction or main­te­nance.

The real question is what Hillsdale plans to do with money it fundraises in the future.

One straight­forward way to use addi­tional money is to expand the size of the college campus and student pop­u­lation, which is barely more than 1,450 stu­dents. Hillsdale has already seen growth, par­tic­u­larly since Arnn began his pres­i­dency in 2000.

But Arnn said the admin­is­tration is pri­or­i­tizing improving Hillsdale more than expanding it.

“We’ve come to the point where we’re turning away more stu­dents than we accept. And it’s true that our faculty posi­tions, based on the huge stan­dards we have here, those appli­ca­tions have improved,” he said.

Hillsdale awards a large amount of money to stu­dents in the form of low tuition and schol­ar­ships. The admin­is­tration is looking to fundraise another $150 – 200 million to fully endow its schol­arship endowment.

Hillsdale’s Barney Charter Schools are cur­rently about 40 percent endowed. With a larger endowment, the program would be able to increase from 21 employees to its goal of 50 employees across the country.

Flannery jok­ingly described the most imme­diate impact of the college’s finances: “We’re probably going to be open next fall.”

It’d be great to see the college’s Endowment Fund fully funded to cover schol­ar­ships. It’s doable in the next few years with the eco­nomic growth we’re expe­ri­encing. Cer­tainly the exposure Hillsdale College gets from things like the VP Pence address isn’t hurting them in their fund-raising cam­paign. You need to strike while the iron is hot!

Out of curiosity Mr. Macwan, who do the Hillsdale College lead­ership con­sider their ‘com­petitors have endow­ments worth more than $1 billion’? Hillsdale fills a unique role in it’s Liberal Arts mission, who does Pres­ident Arnn con­sider the chief com­petitors who are sig­nif­i­cantly better funded?

• Ellsworth_Toohey

That’s a good question. 15 years ago I would have instinc­tively said Chicago school of eco­nomics, today I’m not so sure. I’m not saying that part of the College has gone away, but the coziness with big gov­erment Repub­licans clearly has sent mixed mes­sages. I suspect it’s less “com­petitors” and more com­peting ide­ologies, whatever that might be.

BTW, as an obser­vation, have you ever seen a Col­legian reporter answer a question on here? I haven’t, which I kinda find odd.

Great question and no I haven’t. Nothing wrong with prac­ticing jour­nal­istic dis­tance from com­ments, but a direct, focused comment on the article like mine cer­tainly merits a response. I hope Mr. Macwan isn’t intim­i­dated by my rough edges, I thought this was an excellent article.

probably most important to under­stand what the college has given up in order to attain this val­u­ation:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/07/is-hillsdale-college-gaining-the-world-and-losing-its-soul/565916/

Nobody cares what some Pro­gressive writer from the Least Coast cares about Hillsdale College. If he had his way the Federal Gov­ernment would shut down Hillsdale lock, stock and barrel for pro­moting ‘hate crime’.

Frieder­sdorf never donated a dime to Hillsdale, not even before Pence spoke at the com­mencement-osten­sibly his reason for these critical articles. He doesn’t support the college’s mission, it’s phi­losophy or it’s aspi­ra­tions. He hates Hillsdale’s success at pro­moting Lib­er­tarian thought and chal­lenging the Elite’s concept of cen­tralized control.

The College lead­ership should take this article for what it rep­re­sents-the Left’s angst at the success of the current Admin­is­tration and their fear that schools like Hillsdale College will become more instru­mental at defining the ideas we should be debating.

At the same time VP Pence spoke at Hillsdale College’s com­mencement-almost the same day-former SOS Hillary Clinton was getting paid heap big Dollars for giving a speech at Rad­cliffe College-where she was given an award for some such silly reason or another. Not a word of crit­icism came from Frieder­sdorf or his fellow Pro­gres­sives about how Rad­cliffe was debasing their ethical stan­dards by inviting a morally-chal­lenged former gov­ernment official like Mrs. Clinton.

The main problem for the Left is their Hypocrisy is widely rec­og­nized today and we con­ser­v­a­tives have our act together about sharing infor­mation and getting our message out. And folks like Frieder­sdorf know it, hence his attacks.

Because he doesn’t give money he actually has a much better position of neu­trality. He doesn’t hate the college at all. He writes about it a lot because of the unique mantle that hillsdale has claimed for itself. He rightly sees the failed promise of the recent admin­is­tration of the college and the duplic­itous position the brow-beat from. You are wrong again and it hurts. I’ll see if some reli­gious friends of mine can pray for you if it makes you feel better.

So you hate religion as well? My goodness, the list of things you hate seems to grow daily. Who peed in your corn flakes this morning-and every morning-But­tercup?

I don’t feel bad at all. Feels good to point out the truth and trigger the lem­mings while they try to make little name calling jokes and bad-faith asser­tions about my inten­tions.

All I know about your ‘inten­tions’ is you seem to hew to the neg­ative on every post. Cynics are a dime a dozen in my view, but you’re clearly one of them. Anyone who adds a single brick to build some­thing pos­itive has made more of a con­tri­bution than all the cynics ever born.

Well, once again I have proven this false assertion to be of no account. By chance, did you attend hillsdale?

Yes. I appar­ently got more out of the expe­rience than you did.

That’s impos­sible to know. As I have said before, i comment because I care deeply about the school and the ways that my investment in it has made us inter­twined. The school has lately been taking major actions to break the com­mitment to the higher things that they claimed pre­vi­ously. They aren’t doing what is “best” they are making a par­tisan culture that is a replica of the worst part of leftist higher edu­cation in every way — save for the ele­phant of the Repub­lican party in place of the donkey.

They invited VP Pence to give the com­mencement address, big deal. He’s hardly a raging right winger or a fanatical Christian. For the life of me I can’t under­stand the absolute HATRED for all things Repub­lican by so many of you. I sure didn’t hear equal vitriol when Bill Clinton gave the com­mencement at EMU or Hillary Clinton at Rad­cliffe. Those events seem to go by almost without comment from the Chronic Com­plainers, but let a Repub­lican follow suit and uncon­trolled rage is dis­played.

The hypocrisy of those on the Left is abun­dantly clear to many of us. Why do you think CNN view­ership is down below the Food Network? Because they lost all their cred­i­bility with half the nation by their strident bias and hypocrisy. They thought there would be no cost to them, they were wrong about that.

Go ahead, have at it. But casual observers note con­stant neg­a­tivity and, as I said, cynics are a dime a dozen.

Most of those places don’t self — pro­claim the moral authority that Hillsdale does — and then welcome and support people who are up-front about the fact that they sex­ually harass women, among other things. Facts. If you want to be a leader and if you care about a place, you don’t point at others when caught in the act. You own it and fix it. So far, no one at the school has owned any of this. Yet they con­tinue to preach the value of char­acter and attempt to ingra­tiate them­selves into the reli­gious estab­lishment.

VP Pence sex­ually harasses women? I lost your train of thought, if there was one.

As for the last election, what choice was a person of ethics sup­posed to make? You had two flawed can­di­dates-then again, you usually have two flawed can­di­dates. All fall short of the glory of God. You select your political leaders based on the vision they have for the nation, not based on their own per­sonal ethics. Hillary Clinton couldn’t come up with a message to con­vince enough people to vote for her, other than it was ‘her time’. People weren’t con­vinced.

I have seen nothing since the election which would con­vince me that the wrong can­didate won. Trump has kept his promises and per­formed rea­sonably well, all things given. The behavior of the Left since the election has been atro­cious, mas­sively childish and offensive in the extreme. If any­thing, they’ve made Trump more popular by their appalling behavior.

You are once again trying to make this all or nothing. There are a myriad of choices between trump and sup­porting Hillary. All or most of which would prevent the college, that has recently decided to spend more effort than peers talking about virtue, from aligning itself closely with a can­didate who is known for rep­re­senting the opposite of what they propose to stand for. And while we are at it, if you dont like Hillary’s pol­itics, I get that, but per­sonal ethics aside it isnt even close. Per­sonal email server vs. “Grab them by the pussy”

Yeah, Hillary is a vir­tuous princess. She spent years putting down ‘bimbo erup­tions’ for her husband and attempting to destroy the rep­u­ta­tions of his female accusers-who as it turned out have mostly been truthful in their accounts.

And I’ll take Trump’s admit­tedly course lan­guage to Hillary’s response after the Benghazi tragedy-which was to orches­trate political cover for her bad deci­sions as Sec­retary of State. Nobody died from Trump’s bad per­sonal deci­sions.

But you’re defense of the inde­fen­sible finally clears up where you have been coming from with all this hatred. I thought I rec­og­nized the Leftist tilt to your hate-fest, now I know that’s at the root of it all. You outed yourself.

I want to just say to you, “come one. are you serious? it isn’t even close.” but obvi­ously you are of a bent that can’t handle the truth. You are wrong about every­thing you guessed at above and your esti­mation of “inde­fen­sible” is plainly bad-faith or ridiculous.

Segway to per­sonal insults when you lose the debate, same old tactics.