Senior Hannah McIntyre (Photo: Todd Lan­caster | Courtesy)

The women’s track team battled harsh con­di­tions at the home meet on Sat­urday, the third outdoor meet of the season. But running in 30 degrees didn’t stop the team from dom­i­nating.

“One thing we’ve been really stressing is being com­pet­itive, just com­peting, no matter what the con­di­tions are, or the com­pe­tition is, and I thought we did that really well,” head coach Andrew Towne said. “Espe­cially given, some­times it’s easy to follow through on some­thing like that if it’s sunny and 75 and its great com­pe­tition it’s like, ‘Oh, yeah, I com­peted today, Coach.’ When it’s dreary and 33 degrees and there’s nobody here that’s a really tough thing to do. But I thought they did a great job this weekend.”

He noted Junior Allyson Eads, who was named G-MAC Track Athlete of the Week, and won the 3000-meter steeple­chase, making a pro­vi­sional mark. Senior Alexandra Whitford was named the Field Athlete of the Week, winning the pole vault.

“I love this sport, so it was important to me to give it all I had this year,” Whitford said.

With only outdoor eli­gi­bility, Whitford has just joined the team for the outdoor season. She broke her foot her freshman year before the outdoor season, so she stayed to compete for one more year.

Exe­cuting the second best per­for­mance of her career on Sat­urday, Whitford said she spent the first couple meets “brushing off the rust,” though she com­peted inde­pen­dently for a few meets throughout the indoor season.

“It seems that the training Coach Towne put together and all the ath­letes have been working hard to achieve has started coming together,” Whitford said. “And I saw that in my per­for­mance.”

Whitford wasn’t the only Charger to take a win. Senior Ashlee Moran came in first in the 100-meter race, the first time she ran the event this season, as she’s usually on the longer end of the sprints, she said. Team­mates freshman Kasja Johannson and senior Fiona Shea raced alongside Moran. Johannson took second and Shea fin­ished in third.

“It’s hard to be moti­vated in that kind of weather,” she said. “Specif­i­cally the team as a whole, we really per­formed, some­times we do better when we don’t have a lot of com­pe­tition because then we’re forced to compete, we’re forced to put our­selves out there even if the com­pe­tition isn’t there for us.”

Sophomore Abbie Porter made a season best in the 800 meter, coming in second, while Junior Kristin Freeman and senior legacy captain Rachael Tolsma both per­formed well in the high jump and discus, respec­tively, making season bests. The dis­tance runners also dom­i­nated, with senior Hannah McIntyre taking first in the 5000-meter race, while senior Amanda Reagle won the 1500, and teammate freshman Christina Sawyer took third.

“Our mindset was just to go in and race hard and not really worry about time, which I think both me and Christina did,” Reagle said. “We worked on getting in a com­pet­itive race even when it’s not ideal con­di­tions.”

She said it was fun to come out with a win, fin­ishing with close to a per­sonal best.

“I was happy with the effort,” she said.

This weekend the team will travel to Ball State Uni­versity in Indiana. Moran said she was excited for the rest of the season.

“It’ll be nice to put some of what we’ve done in these last few weeks into practice to really head into com­pe­tition NCAA season,” Moran said.