Junior Corinne Prost (Photo: Charger Ath­letics / Courtesy)

For its fifth con­sec­utive match, the women’s tennis team refused to let a match point land in its opponent’s score.

Marking its eighth con­sec­utive victory, Hillsdale College defeated 9 – 0 both Alderson Broaddus Uni­versity (0 – 6, 0 – 2) on Sat­urday and Davis & Elkins College (4 – 8, 2 – 2) on Sunday in the Biermann Ath­letics Center. Ranked No. 47 nationally by the Inter­col­le­giate Tennis Asso­ci­ation, the Chargers are dom­i­nating their G-MAC oppo­nents during their first season in the con­ference. They are now 5 – 0 in the con­ference and 10 – 4 overall this season.

“It’s our year of success,” head coach Nikki Wal­bright said. “We are a strong team this year. We have really good tennis players. Every­thing came together in this recruiting cycle. It’s not a fluke or that they’re getting lucky. They’re working hard and getting the results we’re hoping for.”

Special recog­nition this week went to No. 1 singles player junior Halle Hyman, who the G-MAC office rec­og­nized as the Player of the Week for the second week in a row and the third time this season. She has won her past five singles matches and eight straight doubles matches with freshman Hannah Cim­peanu.

“As winner of eight straight matches, Hillsdale con­tinues to shine as one of the best teams in the Great Midwest,” Ben Sch­les­selman, G-MAC com­mis­sioner for strategic com­mu­ni­ca­tions, told The Col­legian. “Under coach Wal­bright, the Chargers are in the mix for a con­ference title and have a top-50 national ranking. Hyman has the unen­viable task of going up against each team’s No. 1 every match. She has won five straight in singles and is now 7 – 3 in her last 10, putting her firmly in the con­ver­sation for player of the year honors.”

In defeating Alderson Broaddus on Sat­urday, Hillsdale broke a modern record for the longest winning streak by a Charger women’s tennis team with seven wins.

Doubles teams set the pace for the weekends with a com­bined score of 24 – 3. Cim­peanu and Hyman teamed for a 8 – 2 victory on court one. At No. 2, junior Madeline Bissett and sophomore Kamryn Matthews won 8 – 1, and the combo of junior Julia For­mentin and sophomore Katie Bell made its debut this season at No. 3 with a 8 – 0 shutout victory.

Hyman won her No. 1 singles match 6 – 3, 6 – 0. The Chargers blanked the other five courts, winning 6 – 0, 6 – 0. The single flights winners were Cim­peanu at No. 2, Bell at No. 3, Matthews at No. 4, Bissett at No. 5, and For­mentin at No. 6.

On Sunday, the Chargers kept up their fight against the Davis & Elkins Sen­ators.

In doubles, Cim­peanu and Hyman won 8 – 1 at No. 1. Bissett and Matthews shutout their oppo­nents 8 – 0 at No. 2, and Bell and For­mentin won 8 – 3 on court three.

In singles, Matthews at No. 4 had her fourth 6 – 0, 6 – 0 victory in her past five matches.

For her fourth con­sec­utive win at No. 1 singles, Hyman won 6 – 2, 6 – 3. Cim­peanu fin­ished 6 – 2, 6 – 0 on court two, and Bell at No. 3 ended her match 6 – 2, 6 – 2.

Bissett at No. 5 won 6 – 1, 6 – 1, and For­mentin at No. 6 was vic­to­rious 6 – 1, 6 – 0.

While the women’s tennis team has swept its G-MAC oppo­nents thus far, next weekend could tell a dif­ferent story. The team plays Walsh Uni­versity at noon on Sat­urday and the Uni­versity of Findlay at 1 p.m. on Sunday at home. Like Hillsdale, the teams came from the GLIAC, and Wal­bright said they will be stronger com­pe­tition.

“We’re ready for it,” she said, “but we’ll be chal­lenged more than we have so far.”

The team is con­tinuing to work on its doubles play and build up its endurance with footwork drills and playing plenty of points to last the two days of tough tennis, Wal­bright said. She added that she expects Hillsdale will face the teams again the fol­lowing weekend at the G-MAC tour­nament.

Should Hillsdale win and stay ranked in the top seven teams regionally (right now, it’s No. 6), then it will receive an auto­matic bid for the NCAA Division II tour­nament, which would be a first for the program.

“We don’t want to get ahead of our­selves,” Wal­bright said. “We’re trying not to be over­con­fident. We just want to be suc­cessful at each match as they come.”