Hillsdale College Delp Hall | Wiki­media Commons

With finals quickly approaching, stu­dents have just three weeks left to get their ques­tions answered and par­tic­i­pation points earned.

While most ques­tions posed by stu­dents are in good nature and ben­e­ficial to class, we ask stu­dents to take into con­sid­er­ation the fol­lowing dos and don’ts for the sake of respecting their peers and pro­fessors with the limited classroom time left.

Do speak up and ask ques­tions

If you missed some­thing simple — like a name or page number — don’t be afraid to ask for a clar­i­fi­cation. Usually, a pro­fessor can quickly steer you in the right direction and maybe help other people who missed the same point.

Don’t go too far off-topic

If you’re inter­ested in learning more about some­thing dis­cussed in class, you should ask ques­tions. But if you’re going to bring the lecture off-topic, it’s better to respect your class­mates’ time by saving your question for office hours. Chances are, your pro­fessor would love to discuss the topic further outside class.

Don’t use ques­tions as a chance to grand­stand

A question ought to be the chance for clar­i­fi­cation of the subject, not your chance to show off in front of your class­mates. It is not the time to demon­strate your knowledge of some­thing tan­gen­tially related, but which brings no value to the class.

Don’t apol­ogize for asking a question

Just ask it. You are here to learn, and part of that is asking good, inquis­itive ques­tions to better under­stand the liberal arts we are learning here. Don’t feel bad for doing that.

Don’t extend the class period

If the pro­fessor asks, at the last gasp of class, “Are there any ques­tions?” Do not have any ques­tions. Stay late and talk to your pro­fessor after.