Central Hall. | Col­legian

Two dorms will join the wave of ren­o­va­tions sweeping across campus. Waterman and Nied­feldt res­i­dences are set to get various fea­tures ren­o­vated over the course of the summer. These ren­o­va­tions follow a series of updates to several other dor­mi­tories.
There is a loose schedule the college keeps for dorm ren­o­va­tions, according to Chief Admin­is­trative Officer Richard Péwé.
“We have a schedule which is used as a planning tool,” he said. “We budget accord­ingly, but adjust­ments get made. Some­times another imme­diate need will require waiting another year for some­thing else on the schedule.”
Various aspects of dorm ren­o­va­tions run on a timeline. Every three years, the inte­riors get painted. From then on, the pos­sible ren­o­va­tions are reviewed at the 10,- 15-, 30-, and 40-year marks. The ren­o­va­tions get more detailed and intense each time.
“Last summer we gave Whitley the 30-year treatment, and this summer we are going to do the same for Nied­feldt,” Péwé said in an email. “Waterman was on the schedule for the summer of 2019, but we moved it up after con­sulting with Super­in­tendent of Buildings and Util­ities Dave Billington and the deans.”
Waterman will be ren­o­vated by the college itself, but an outside con­tractor will be hired to com­plete the ren­o­va­tions for Nied­feldt, according to Péwé.
“Typ­i­cally projects that take a few months or more will go to an outside con­tractor,” he said in an email. “We get several com­pet­itive bids when we go to outside con­tractors. We balance the scope, cost, and time involved.”
Waterman Head Res­ident Assistant Chloe Kookogey, a junior, has kept in contact with Dean of Women Diane Philipp and Asso­ciate Dean of Women Rebekah Dell about con­cerns with the dorm. In addition to being the head RA, Kookogey also acts as the student house director, so she has the respon­si­bility to bringing main­te­nance con­cerns to the deans and the main­te­nance office.
“I’ve brought dif­ferent things to light and raised issues with things that are broken in the house,” she said. “I com­mu­ni­cated that to Miss Dell and Dean Philipp. They’ve had it in the back of their minds for a while, so I don’t think this is any­thing brand new, but it’s nice to see the ball finally rolling to get these ren­o­va­tions in place.”
Kookogey says the dorm ren­o­va­tions will be a help to Waterman’s com­munity.
“The ren­o­va­tions can’t help, but bring Waterman closer,” she said. “It allows Waterman to retain all of the charm that it has of a small house. The number of res­i­dents will not change; it won’t be expanding. But several issues that have come up over the years will finally be attended to.”
This summer, Waterman will get new paint, flooring, and kitchen cup­boards, as well as remodeled bath­rooms, according to Kookogey.
“The bath­rooms have been the primary concern,” she said. “It will be so much more con­ve­nient to not deal with showers that are per­pet­ually ice cold. All of these things will make living in Waterman a lot more con­ve­nient.”
Nied­feldt will be getting similar ren­o­va­tions between semesters, including new carpets. Head Res­ident Assistant junior Alexander Green said most of the ren­o­va­tions will be in the rooms as opposed to the lobby. Asso­ciate Dean of Men Jeffery “Chief” Rogers informed him of the dorm ren­o­va­tions, which will be a “face-lift,” according to Green.
“It can often be a deterrent to be in the dorm just because of how it looks,” he said. “I lived in Simpson freshman year, so it was nice to have a dorm that was new. I felt really priv­i­leged to be in there. The ren­o­vation is going to be really nice for the freshmen coming in, but also for people who don’t know what a new dorm is like. They will be able to have new things.”

Previous articleA comprehensive guide to comps
Next articleCharger golf grabs fourth at G-MACs
Nolan Ryan
Nolan Ryan is a junior from northern Michigan, studying English and journalism. He is this year's News Editor at the Collegian, as well as a student writer with the marketing department. This summer, he is interning with the editorial and news sections of the Detroit News. You can find him reading good poetry and trying desperately to be better at appreciating art. Email: nryan1@hillsdale.edu | Twitter: @NolanRyan76

My Goodness! You have to have hot water in the morning in Michigan, espe­cially in the win­tertime. This must be a pri­ority item, I wouldn’t let them the Main­ten­nance Department rest until this was cor­rected.