Students attend grassroots organization seminar

Home News Students attend grassroots organization seminar
Representatives from Citizens for Self-Governance (top row) interns James Neslon, Chase Ray, and Corey Rogan, as well as Hillsdale sophomore Jack McPherson, and (bottom row) President Mark Meckler and Hillsdale sophomore Weston Boardman all attended the 1789 Alliance summit in March. Weston Boardman | Courtesy

In terms of grassroots, the 1789 Alliance has it covered.

Sophomores Weston Boardman and Jack McPherson represented the Hillsdale chapter of Citizens for Self-Governance, an organization that promotes the idea of a Convention of States, at a 1789 Alliance summit March 22-24 in Kansas City, Missouri. Boardman and McPherson joined three other interns in attending the summit, sharing ideas and comparing tactics with other grassroots political organizations from around the country.

The 1789 Alliance was founded to help local grassroots organizations connect and share strategies. It was especially helpful, Boardman said, to gain tips about social media and internet advertising from a group called Reclaim New York. The interns were able to contribute to the summit with their knowledge of fundraising.

“Everyone there wanted to see each other succeed,” Boardman said. “Overall, it was really inspiring.”

Boardman was hired as the intern coordinator for Convention of States in December, and he hired his first four interns this December. He said he works to make the internship program a unique experience.

“Interacting with the head of an organization that has 3.2 million volunteers, you’re not going to get that anywhere else,” Boardman said.

McPherson, one of Boardman’s interns, said he has enjoyed the experience.

“It’s been nothing but a pleasure,” McPherson said, adding that the summit made him much more optimistic about the future of politics. “The experience was awesome. I was really encouraged.”

The interns also made a positive impression on grassroots leaders from around the nation, according to Andrew Kerr, president of the 1789 Alliance.

“A lot of the groups that were there enjoyed speaking with everybody from Hillsdale,” Kerr said. “I think that they were really well-represented at our gathering.”

Some of the groups represented included Convention of States Action, Empower Texans, Reclaim New York, and Principles of Liberty.

“I’m definitely optimistic about the future,” Kerr said. “I think that grassroots-oriented organizations will play a big role in that.”