Student Fed­er­ation passed a motion to give $3,500 to the Student Activ­ities Board for food and catering costs at Cen­tral­hal­la­palooza. Pexels.

Student Fed­er­ation passed a motion to give $3,500 to the Student Activ­ities Board for food and catering costs at Cen­tral­hal­la­palooza.

At last year’s CHP, SAB ran out of food two hours into the six-hour event, so it requested $4,000 from the fed­er­ation to ensure there will not be a repeat of last year. The total cost of CHP comes out to $33,000.

The fed­er­ation does not nor­mally give funds to SAB, since it is not a student club. Pro­posals from outside orga­ni­za­tions require a month-long analysis by the finance com­mittee and require a two-thirds vote to pass.

Recre­ational team leader senior Branden Bisher said he felt this part­nership could serve to create a better expe­rience for stu­dents; food at the event is a great attraction for many stu­dents.

“We believe that we share a common goal with Student Fed­er­ation, and that is to serve the student body as best as we can,” Bisher said. “In going to the fed­er­ation, we hoped to form a part­nership in order to provide stu­dents with the best CHP expe­rience pos­sible.”

The fed­er­ation approved a dis­bursement of $3,500 to SAB. Trea­surer and senior Charles Adams gave the rea­soning behind this decision in the meeting.

“Based on the unusually light funding requests to Student Fed­er­ation this semester, the Finance Com­mittee unan­i­mously rec­om­mends $3,500 for CHP,” Adams said. “However, the Finance Com­mittee rec­og­nizes this is as an excep­tional cir­cum­stance and advises the SAB to do every­thing in its power to avoid asking the fed­er­ation for funds in the future.”

Junior and Fed­er­ation Pres­ident Natalie Meckel also noted that the federation’s position at this time in the semester played a role in the decision.

The Fed­er­ation is in a unique position finan­cially this semester with unan­tic­i­pated funds left over from spring spending pro­posals that fell through, Meckel said. The Finance Com­mittee is con­fident they can support SAB without hurting other student orga­ni­za­tions for which funds are intended.