Student Fed awards funds for Poetry Out Loud, Numana meal packing

Home News Student Fed awards funds for Poetry Out Loud, Numana meal packing
The Creative Writing Club will host a “Poetry Out Loud!” night at A.J.’s Café on April 19 from 7-10 p.m. Facebook.

Student Federation approved $180 for a poetry night hosted by Hillsdale College Creative Writing Club and $600 for the GOAL Program meal packing event.
The Creative Writing Club will host a “Poetry Out Loud!” night at A.J.’s Café on April 19 from 7-10 p.m. Students are encouraged to read their own poetry or their favorite poems by other authors at the event.  
The club asked for $180 to cover the cost of food, drinks, and banner supplies. Before the request, the club had not pursued any alternatives for funding. The federation approved $150 and recommended the club find additional sources of funding for the next year.
Creative Writing Club President junior Isaiah Scheuer expressed relief over the decision.
“I was extremely grateful and relieved to hear that they would be funding us this year,” Scheuer told The Collegian. “It had been a very stressful week up to that point, what with trying to arrange everything while being unsure where our funding would be coming from, so hearing that the federation was going to help us out was a huge relief.”
GOAL made the next request came for their meal-packing event; college students pack the meals and send them to a school in Haiti. GOAL is not considered a club on campus, so the request needed to be sent a month in advance and required a two-thirds vote.
The event itself provides a unique opportunity according to GOAL Program Director senior Allison Deckert.
“We do not receive education in character in order to sit around and think about what virtues like generosity, compassion, cooperation, kindness, unity, and service look like in action, but in order to act them out,” Deckert said in an email. “All the volunteering opportunities facilitated by the GOAL Program serve this end, but this event provides the chance for many students to gather in practice of character and sacrifice.”
The finance committee recommended that the federation give $600 to GOAL from the philanthropy fund. The philanthropy fund is separate from the general fund, which is from student fees. Every year, the student federation hosts an event devoted to raising funds for their philanthropy fund.
Student Fed Vice President senior Nicholas Conger explained this distinction.
“We currently have $600 in our philanthropic fund which was raised last semester during the student federation’s philanthropic event,” Conger said. “We will be hosting the 2017-2018 federation philanthropic event within the next three to five meetings and that money given to GOAL will be recuperated.”