A sign outside of a campus parking lot. Josephine von Dohlen | Col­legian

Parking in the Roche Sports Complex lot costs $5 for more than just football events this year, according to Director of Ath­letics Don Brubacher. Nev­er­theless, parking will still be free when ath­letic events are not in session.

Now stu­dents and vis­itors will have to pay the $5 fee during most vol­leyball, bas­ketball, and indoor track and field meets. While this is new for spe­cific sports, the college has charged for parking at ath­letic events in the past.

“Parking fees for football games have been in place for as long as anyone can remember, it seems,” Brubacher said in an email.

Linda Gravel, House Director of Olds Res­i­dence, said she will still park in the Roche lot regardless of the fees. She is one of the staff members who reg­u­larly drives to college games to support the student ath­letes.

“It’s my under­standing the monies benefit the sports teams,” she said in an email. “Usually staff doesn’t have to pay, but I do because of this.”

Staff, including stu­dents on security duty, are exempt from the parking fee. Hillsdale res­i­dents, stu­dents, and vis­itors should be pre­pared to pay at any college ath­letic events.

• George Gibbs

Back in the Col­legian days of old, the photos matched their cap­tions. When did Roche Sports Complex become a British pub?