The Charger men’s track team saw the best tem­per­a­tures they’ve seen so far this season as they com­peted in the Ball State Invi­ta­tional this past weekend. With just three meets left until the con­ference cham­pi­onships, the team saw improve­ments across mul­tiple events.

“We got some good weather,” Towne said. “Overall I thought it was another solid per­for­mance from us.”

Several ath­letes achieved sea­sonal bests in their respective events. Senior Daniel Čhapek threw a sea­sonal best and NCAA pro­vi­sional mark in the hammer.

“It was the first time we had nice weather,” Čhapek said. “It was about 70 degrees. I did what I usually do in terms of per­for­mance. I improved my sea­sonal best, but most impor­tantly I figured out what I was doing wrong. I need just an extra meet this week to improve to my level from last year.”

Freshman Mark Miller took fourth in the 1500-meter with a college best of 4:02.72.

“Ball State went pretty well,” Miller said. “I took off about a second from my last race, so I was happy with that. Tac­ti­cally, it was OK. The race was kind of messy in the beginning, but overall it went pretty well.”

Sophomore Ian Brown took seventh in the 110-meter hurdles.

“I did really well,” Brown said. “We were running against Division I ath­letes, so that’s always fun to get to compete against them. The weather was really great. It was ideal weather for running well for track, so that was helpful.”

As the team nears G-MAC Cham­pi­onships, the coaching staff is empha­sizing prepa­ration and rest.

“We have to con­tinue to com­mu­nicate really well, ath­letes and coaches,” Towne said. “Even though this is a really strenuous time aca­d­e­m­i­cally they have to do their part in preparing ahead of time so they can do that. We cer­tainly have to do our part to make sure we’re doing the right things. This is a hard time of year.”

The team will split up this weekend with part of the squad heading to El Camino College in Tor­rance, Cal­i­fornia, for the Mt. SAC Relays, and the other group headed to Allendale, Michigan, for the Al Owens Classic at Grand Valley State.