The Harry James Orchestra will be per­forming at Hillsdale. | Facebook.

Stu­dents, faculty, and com­munity members have the unique oppor­tunity to hear big band jazz that’s straight from the middle of the last century this weekend.

The Harry James Orchestra will be per­forming in the Searle Center at 8:00 p.m. on Sat­urday, along with several student jazz combos while audience members can listen, eat hor d’oeuvres, and dance to the sounds of big band jazz.

“It’s going to be high energy, lots of fun, a unique event,” Music Department Chairman James Holleman said. “It’s up in Searle — this is the first time we’ve ever done any­thing like this.”

The fea­tured student jazz combos, Thursday Morning and Rob Roy, will play before the per­for­mance after the doors open at 7:15 p.m.

Part of the reason that Hillsdale brings so many groups to campus is for the jazz musi­cians who play on campus: Director of Jazz Ensembles and trumpet teacher Chris McCourry said the Howard Department of Music brings so many excellent musi­cians to help musical stu­dents develop and strive for excel­lence.

“A person can really only grow if they’re sur­rounded by people better than them,” McCourry said.

Hearing pro­fes­sional musi­cians inspires music stu­dents to try harder, rein­forcing what pro­fessors encourage them to do every day and making them work harder at their instrument, McCourry said.

The Searle Center will have tables and audience seating as well as a dance floor on the side of the stage.

Tickets are needed for entrance and are available for free by con­tacting the Sage Box Office, but they are limited.