Charger golfers and staff at Pine­hurst Resort, four-time host of a PGA major tour­nament. (Photo: John Quint | Courtesy)

After a 12th place finish at the Ten­nessee River Rumble last week, the Hillsdale College golf team traveled to Indiana for the three-day, 54-hole Grey­hound Invi­ta­tional. The team fin­ished the tour­nament on Tuesday at 17th overall with a 59-over-par 923.

Despite the dis­ap­pointing overall team results, junior Liam Purslowe fol­lowed up last week’s tied-second finish with a tied-21, eight shots behind the leader. After shooting 78 (+6) on Sunday and losing ground to the field, Purslowe came back with a 70 (-2) the next day and fol­lowed that up with an even par 72 on Tuesday.

“I just putted hor­ribly in the first round. It was by far the worst putting round I’ve had all year,” Purslowe said.

Purslowe’s putting was key to his comeback, as it allowed him to take advantage of the position his ball striking put him in and make birdies.

“I played pretty much the same all three rounds but became more con­fident on the greens and sunk a lot more putts in rounds two and three.”

Head coach Nate Gilchrist said he has seen con­sis­tency out of Purslowe all spring.

“He plays with patience and dis­ci­pline and sticks to his game plan without getting frus­trated when things aren’t going as planned,” Gilchrist said.

This was the last event before the G-MAC Cham­pi­onships in two weeks on Monday, April 23. The team will be working hard in the coming weeks, preparing for a strong showing at the Cham­pi­onships.

“The team is working on short game and attitude to prepare for the G-MAC Cham­pi­onships,” Gilchrist said.