The Hillsdale College GOAL Program will hold a meal-packing event from 2 – 4 p.m. on Sunday in the Biermann Ath­letics Center. Facebook.

The Hillsdale College GOAL Program will hold a meal-packing event from 2 – 4 p.m. on Sunday in the Biermann Ath­letics Center. GOAL is holding the event through Numana, an inter­na­tional, hunger-relief orga­ni­zation based in Kansas. The goal of the event is to package 20,000 meals, which will feed 80 children in Haiti for an entire school year.

GOAL Program Director senior Allison Deckert is helping oversee the event.

“We like to have a large-scale vol­un­teering event,” Deckert said. “This is a really cool oppor­tunity for large numbers of stu­dents from very diverse circles of campus to come together and work on vol­un­teering together.”

Senior Emma Carville vol­un­teered at the event last year and enjoyed her expe­rience.

“The event was really great. It was a really big deal on campus,” Carville said.

Hillsdale sup­plies the vol­un­teers, but Numana pro­vides the meals.

“They get the food here, they bring the sup­plies to pack it, and then they ship it back out,” Deckert said.

This is the second year GOAL has hosted this event. Deckert said fundraising has been the biggest chal­lenge. GOAL needed to have $4,800 by April 13, but by April 9 it had about a thousand.

“We realized that we had to raise $3,700 in a single week,” Deckert said. “But we made it.”

GOAL also employed a text-to-donate system for this event.

In the future, GOAL may be searching for an alter­native event that would draw campus together but not require as many funds.

“We would want it to be com­munity-based, and we would want it to be less fundraising,” Deckert said.

Mission of Hope, a mis­sions orga­ni­zation to Haiti, will dis­tribute the meals on the ground in Haiti.

Numana held 63 meal-packing events last year all around the U.S. Morgan Bolander, a Numana Event Coor­di­nator, will oversee the event.

“It’s awesome that people all across the U.S. are fully aware of the inter­na­tional need of food,” Bolander said. “And the will­ingness just to give and pour out – it’s incredible.”

Bolander super­vised the meal-packing on campus last year and said she looks forward to round two.

“Hillsdale stu­dents are absolutely some of the most hard-working people I have come across,” Bolander said. “We felt very wel­comed and at home there.”