The Finish Line renovates interior, reopens diner

Home City News The Finish Line renovates interior, reopens diner
The Finish Line Restaurant reopened after renovations on March 23. Nic Rowan | Collegian

Although the Finish Line Family Restaurant still is serving its classic favorite options, the restaurant recently reopened after major renovations.

The Finish Line reopened on March 23, ater closing temporarily. The restaurant’s owner, Lisa Slade, said the renovations were necessary. It has been fifteen years since the restaurant’s last renovation. The walls, floors, and seating were worn out and in need of replacement.

“We needed to refresh things, make them look new again,” Slade said. “We got new floors, ceilings, new booths, and lights. We added new heating and cooling. It just needed to get done.”

Slade said that the renovations have created a different atmosphere in the restaurant.  

“We’ve had many, many compliments from customers,” she said. “The ambience is brighter, fresher. It feels more welcoming.”

The menu is still the same across breakfast, lunch, and dinner, Slade said.

The restaurant has 11 types of sandwiches, from the classic Reuben served with its 1000 Island Dressing to the Grand Monte Cristo for $5.29: turkey, ham, American and Swiss cheese all served on an egg dipped bakery bread and then grilled.

Sophomore Maria Forsythe said she likes going to the Finish Line for Saturday morning brunch with friends.

“They have a lot of good options for breakfast,” she said. “It’s good for college students, because it’s not super expensive.”

In addition to a plethora of option for breakfast, the restaurant has 16 flavors of ice cream. Patrons can try several of those flavors with its Caution 2 – a towering seven scoops of ice cream with assorted toppings.

But The Finish Line is not just known for their food and ice cream. It is a restaurant prized for its community.

“People are really chatty there,” Forsythe said.

Whether drawing older folks for breakfast or a family for dinner, The Finish Line draws Hillsdale’s community together around delicious food, Forsythe said.

“I think it’s important for Hillsdale students to be part of the community, and not just stay on campus,” Forsythe said.