The Finish Line Restaurant reopened after ren­o­va­tions on March 23. Nic Rowan | Col­legian

Although the Finish Line Family Restaurant still is serving its classic favorite options, the restaurant recently reopened after major ren­o­va­tions.

The Finish Line reopened on March 23, ater closing tem­porarily. The restaurant’s owner, Lisa Slade, said the ren­o­va­tions were nec­essary. It has been fifteen years since the restaurant’s last ren­o­vation. The walls, floors, and seating were worn out and in need of replacement.

“We needed to refresh things, make them look new again,” Slade said. “We got new floors, ceilings, new booths, and lights. We added new heating and cooling. It just needed to get done.”

Slade said that the ren­o­va­tions have created a dif­ferent atmos­phere in the restaurant.  

“We’ve had many, many com­pli­ments from cus­tomers,” she said. “The ambience is brighter, fresher. It feels more wel­coming.”

The menu is still the same across breakfast, lunch, and dinner, Slade said.

The restaurant has 11 types of sand­wiches, from the classic Reuben served with its 1000 Island Dressing to the Grand Monte Cristo for $5.29: turkey, ham, American and Swiss cheese all served on an egg dipped bakery bread and then grilled.

Sophomore Maria Forsythe said she likes going to the Finish Line for Sat­urday morning brunch with friends.

“They have a lot of good options for breakfast,” she said. “It’s good for college stu­dents, because it’s not super expensive.”

In addition to a plethora of option for breakfast, the restaurant has 16 flavors of ice cream. Patrons can try several of those flavors with its Caution 2 – a tow­ering seven scoops of ice cream with assorted top­pings.

But The Finish Line is not just known for their food and ice cream. It is a restaurant prized for its com­munity.

“People are really chatty there,” Forsythe said.

Whether drawing older folks for breakfast or a family for dinner, The Finish Line draws Hillsdale’s com­munity together around deli­cious food, Forsythe said.

“I think it’s important for Hillsdale stu­dents to be part of the com­munity, and not just stay on campus,” Forsythe said.