Charger golfers and staff at Pine­hurst Resort, four-time host of a PGA major tour­nament. (Photo: John Quint | Courtesy)

On the heels of a dif­ficult regular season, the Hillsdale College golf team secured a fourth-place finish at the G-MAC Cham­pi­onship. Eleven teams com­peted in the three-day, 54 hole tour­nament held at the par 72 Four Bridges Country Club in Liberty Township, Ohio.

Hillsdale’s team posted a 909 with the fol­lowing scores: Liam Purslowe 221 (+5), Ryan Zetwick 228 (+12), Henry Hitt 231 (+15), Andy Grayson 232 (+16), and Joe Torres 233 (+17).

Findlay won the Cham­pi­onship shooting 889, fol­lowed in second place by Trevecca Nazarene, which was seven shots back with a 896. The third place spot was con­tentious, as Hillsdale fin­ished just one shot behind Ken­tucky Wesleyan’s 908.

Indi­vid­ually, Hillsdale’s Purslowe fin­ished the Cham­pi­onship with the second-lowest score by one stroke. Shooting an opening round 4-under par 68 in the rain, Purslowe led the Charger team into con­tention ahead of the last day.

“We stayed in contact with the leaders during the whole tour­nament, but unfor­tu­nately we couldn’t get over the line,” Purslowe said. “We made too many unnec­essary mis­takes on the final day.”

On the last day, three on the team shot 6-over par 78, Purslowe shot 75, and Grayson shot 2-over par 74. But despite Purslowe’s dis­ap­pointment, head coach Nate Gilchrist took several pos­i­tives from the way the team played.

“This past weekend was a great expe­rience for the team. They had a chance to win the con­ference cham­pi­onship,” Gilchrist said. “They were tough men­tally due to the three days of rain.”

Though not the finish it was hoping for, the team says it hopes to use the tour­nament as a building point for next season.