Alco­holic drinks (photo: Wiki­media Commons)

When campus gathered for President’s Ball last Sat­urday night, the Searle Center pulsed to XBAND’S beat, glowed with col­orful dec­o­ra­tions, and shel­tered quite a few stu­dents who had thrown back far too many drinks.

Director of Student Activ­ities Ashlyn Landherr and Assistant Director of Student Activ­ities Hank Prim said that the Ball show­cased tame behavior as com­pared to pre­vious years. Still, big men stumbled across the room as their buddies hoisted them up under their armpits. Young ladies wearing their pret­tiest dresses slumped on the velvety staircase. Rowdier partiers flailed vio­lently as Student Activ­ities Board staffers pressed them back to clear a space for the king and queen’s dance with Pres­ident Larry Arnn and Mrs. Arnn. Someone even vomited right on the dance floor.

Even if Hillsdale cleaned up its act overall this President’s Ball, the improvement doesn’t excuse the many who obvi­ously over-indulged. Binge drinking is dan­gerous, but the short- and long-term physical ram­i­fi­ca­tions may not per­suade someone ready to let loose and drink up. A more con­vincing point is that binge drinking is simply selfish. One crazy night might be fun for the girl seven shots into a bottle of Absolut, but the aftermath won’t make a good time for the loyal friend or care­taker holding back her hair or driving her to the hos­pital.

When it comes time for Hillsdale stu­dents to get ready for the next fun weekend, another big party, or even Cen­tral­hal­la­palooza, everyone planning to have a good time should make sure a good time is had by everyone. A couple drinks before a night out dancing can be enjoyed by all can be a bit of harmless fun. But when two beers turn into a six-pack plus more than a couple shots of cheap rum mixed with Coke, things can only end badly, or at least unpleas­antly. College is about com­munity, which operates on respon­si­bility and trust. Don’t forget that the next time you pop a bottle for weekend shenanigans.